New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Olà, from Boltonshire

• 8 Replies

Ding Dang Doo

Olà, from Boltonshire
« on: May 15, 2015, 14:59 »
Hi everyone,

I'm Pete, and as it says in the title, I'm from the ronoundly sunny Bolton. If only!

Originally from thevsouth coast, I've livec 'up north' for 10 years now, and loving every bit of it... apart from the weather!

I have been on the local allotment waiting list for the last 9 years, and yesterday I got the call to come and have alook at an unused 'community' plot close by.

There are some pros and cons about the plot, but I'm quite positive, so the things I like are the fact its at the far end of the allotment, the plot itself faces south, and the soil is sandy, so it shouldn't be as difficult to clear and turn over as if it was clay.

It will need clearing, although the soil has been sort of exposed, it is already showing weeds coming through, so I know that Im going to to work the whole plot, and keep on working it to keep those pesky weeds at bay.

The plot is also on a slop, so I'm going to terrace it, and have already managed to source fro  old railway sleepers to help with this.

As for my growing experience, well, I have very little, but that wont daunt me; I've aleady picked up some useful tips from here, and a few other websites, and Im trying to tzke it all in.

I've met a few of thevother allotment holders, and they seem a friendly bunch, so I will also be tapping into their years of experience.

Glad to be on board!

Pete

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Olà, from Boltonshire
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 15:21 »
Hello Pete and welcome. I think you will be a very good gardener as you obviously have the patience of a saint! 😇 9 years waiting!!!! 😯😯 Well done! ✔️

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 15:45 »
Hello & welcome, congratulations on your plot, unless it is a horrendous slope you might find it workable as it is, if it faces South,the slope, that is, it will warm up quickly. Be careful with the old railway sleepers, if they are full of creosote they are not recommended for growing food in, creosote has been banned for its carcinogenic properties.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 17:03 »
Congratulations. Hope you have lots of fun and productive growing.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 19:58 »
Hi ya Pete. Our allotment is on a slope and we have put in some steps to the top part and sort of terraced it.

Welcome to the whacky world of allotmenteering.

I did my teaching practices in Bolton, many, many years ago.

Ding Dang Doo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 00:12 »
Thanks for your kind comments... The sleepers are old and not creosoted, so no problem there...
South facing is good I know, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the warmth.
Looking forward to learning in the job!

And thank you for your kind words, I'm a member of a few different forums, and I know after a while it can get a bit tedious welcoming new members, but it can make so much fifference to that Member f they get a welcome message back👍🏻

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:23 »
Welcome to the site  :D

If you pop your general location into your forum profile we'll remember where you are   :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Asherweef

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:38 »
Hello :) where in Bolton? We're keawyedners!!!

Ding Dang Doo

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 17:45 »
Hi, my allotment is at Astley Bridge, Florence Avenue...

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 38 queries.