Mixing the Runners

• 4 Replies

Rubellite

Mixing the Runners
« on: September 10, 2009, 21:04 »
When can I put the younger runners in with the older runners?
The older ones are 9 weeks and the younger ones are three weeks.
The babies stay out during the day (as we have no rain and sunshine) but are still under heat at night.
Thanks  :)

Foxy

Re: Mixing the Runners
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 21:12 »
well, what I have done might help, your older runners at 9 weeks old haven't sexually matured so you shouldn't have any major problems. Bit more challenging depending on the time of year and sexually active drakes :ohmy:
I have some which are around 14 weeks old and have recently been introduced to my 4 week old ducklings under supervision. No real problems apart from a little minor squabbling from the drake, but nothing compared to chooks! That was a few days ago and now they are all fine. Yours are a bit younger at 9 weeks so I think will be OK! :D
Good luck and aren't runners just fab!

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 21:16 »
Thanks Foxy. Pretty certain the older two are girlies anyway.
Next question - if they all get on well together will I be able to leave the young ones in at night with the older ones instead of taking them in under the heat lamp?
Not thinking just yet but maybe in a week or so............ :mellow:

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 21:58 »
well I have taken mine off heat at 4 weeks old with no probs at all, they do seem to grow like mad don't they?? Saying that although lovely and warm during the day, it has been chilly overnight. I also have 10 ducklings in a small ark with plenty of chopped straw to snuggle in. Maybe if you have have plenty of insulation? I have found that ducklings at 4 weeks are quite hardy as long as used to being outside for the majority of time,just my experience though! :D

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 22:10 »
well I have taken mine off heat at 4 weeks old with no probs at all, they do seem to grow like mad don't they??Maybe if you have have plenty of insulation? I have found that ducklings at 4 weeks are quite hardy as long as used to being outside for the majority of time,just my experience though! :D

Yes, they do grow at an alarming rate! I think I'll be ok with these two, but if I get anything from the last hatch in a fortnight I'll have to have an alternative plan, methinks  :unsure:
Will probably have to have a shift around, ark is currently used by Sussex 10 week olds.
Plan is to build another chicken house and put all 5 Sussex in together, easing the space in the big shed. I do need some rain to get my pond up and running and the ground soft for fencing posts  :(

xx
they are still not mixing

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 12:49
by frenchliving
xx
Mixing

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 11:00
by LadyPluck
xx
Mixing chicks

Started by Fen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 21:14
by Fen
xx
mixing poultry

Started by clucking mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 08:47
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 35 queries.