Hatching and helping

• 5 Replies

pandora

Hatching and helping
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:37 »
Today is day 30 of my duckling hatch. I had 11 fertile eggs of which 6 hatched healthy and happy on day 28, 2 are dead in shell, and 3 are struggling. The 3 that are still struggling have all managed to make a little hole in their shells, more than just pipped iyswim. But I can see that after 2 days of trying to hatch they are exhausted and panting. The humidity is good - 70% in an RCOM20, (which is as high as it will go, so I don't think it is them being stuck.

I am not sure what help to give them, whether to give them any help at all, or whether I will do more harm than good if I try and help. The one that has made the biggest hole in it's shell clearly has a blood vessel running across part of the membrane and I am worried about causing damage to this if I try and help, as I don't know what stage in the hatch these blood vessels become unecessary.

TeaPots

Re: Hatching and helping
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:36 »
The usual advice is that if the babies are too weak to get out of their shell, they are likely too weak to survive  :(  I have succumbed and helped at hatching, but with mixed results. It VERY RARELY results in a healthy baby, as they often are deformed in some way, bleed to death, or simply just fade, never eating and growing as vigorously as the others.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38 »
hopefully somebody who has done this will be along to help you soon as I haven't I'm afraid. I do know others have helped with hatching and that if you see any sign of blood to stop immediately. I think the rule is slowly and gently - perhaps you could just pierce the membrane to let some air in then see how they go?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20 »
I've actually had a very different experience to Teapots and although having helped a few of my ducklings out have only ever had one that in retrospect I shouldn't have as it had a deformity. The rest have all done very well and in all honesty within a day I couldn't tell them from the ones I didn't help out.

I just chip away around the hole, gently peeling the edges away. If there is any bleeding stop and give them an hour or two before trying it again. If there are membranes stuck to the duckling damp them with tepid water and peel them off as long as they come easily.

By helping them out you do have to be prepared to cull them if they have a obvious problem that explains why they couldn't get out, if you can't contemplate doing this you are probably better leaving nature to take it's course.
Mine are predominately pets so I always give them a chance.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

pandora

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 14:11 »
The remaining ducklings are all out now. The last one to hatch (only an hour ago) is clearly going to be a bit of a bruiser. It is black, and squeaking to be in with his older brothers and sisters already. I also got a little yellow duckling who is looking very worn out and having a sleep, and a little grey one who sadly died within an hour of hatching, so probably wasn't meant to be. The 6 who hatched 2 days ago are running around and looking very strong already, and about triple the size of the Silkie/Poland (don't ask - the Poland boy is very, ahem, prolific, and the Silkie mum is a bit of a floozie!) chicks who hatched a week before them! The ducklings are 3 cayugas and the rest from a mixed colour pen of runner ducks.

Here are the first 6 ducklings and their mixed race chickie friends:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 17:43 »
lovely, love black ducklings  :D

xx
Helping a chick out of its egg?

Started by Danielle280 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
dog helping to clean up after chickens

Started by sistersioux on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 14:33
by Sue33
xx
HATCHING!!!!!

Started by tesni on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 02:24
by catgoodyear
xx
Hatching

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 19:32
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.