Bullying

• 8 Replies

cejx

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:19 »
Hi,

I rescued 6 ex bats last week.  All looking pretty sorry for themselves, but all have come out of their shells somewhat.  However, the smallest, most threadbare is getting really bullied and is spending all her time alone cowering in a corner.  I realise that they have to assert their pecking order, and that I shouldn't place human emotions on to other species, but it does look pretty harsh.  Has anyone any advice?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:45 by Aunt Sally »
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Bullying
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:51 »
Make sure she has food and water available to her that the others won't chase her away from. 

If the bullying is bad separate her off in a small area of the run using some netting or mesh so that she is in full vision of the others but they can't peck at her.  She should be OK in with them at night but separate again in the morning.  Keep an eye on them for when things seem to quieten down.  Then you can remove the netting barrier.

It can take up to 3 weeks for things to sort themselves out.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 14:12 »
Thanks, poor little thing is just cowering alone in the 'sleeping' part of the hen house whilst the others are doing their chicken stuff in the coop below - each time she comes into the coop, she gets chased away back up the ramp.   I've fed her and watered her, but in her desperation to get back up the ramp, she's snapped one of her back claws which is now bleeding - not badly, but she's injured herself none the less.  The animal kingdom is so cruel at times. :(  I'm worried that if I separate her, then it will be even harder for her to integrate back in with the others.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 14:27 »
As long as the others can see her as Aunt Sally suggests it will be fine.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 17:12 »
Hopefully after a week or so, they'll have sorted themselves out.  In the meantime spray her with Featherite.  It's always worked for us. 

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 17:36 »
I know that not everyone has the room but I do honestly believe that a lot of the bullying that we see is caused by boredom and lack of space.
Chickens naturally have a pecking order and will argue until they've worked out where they all stand but if there is not enough room for the lower chickens to get out of the way of the higher ranking chooks then there is a chance for injuries to occur.  Likewise, if they get bored then pecking at feathers is seen as a form of amusement, hence the state of many of the ex-batts when re-homed. 
If you are able to do as Auntie suggests and make sure that they have enough room and entertainment as possible then they should sort it out between themselves.
Good luck.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 17:41 »
make sure you stop the bleeding before the others see and smell it - they will attack her as they go mad for blood. If you don't have any wound powder use cornflower, disguise any reness with purple spray.
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 20:05 »
I agree, especially with PP. They all need enough space for the weaker ones to go and hide, even if you just use an old piece of board leaning against the wall, to make a little hidden triangle.  This is useful if any of the hens have a falling out for any reason, stupid birdies  ::)   Like Joy says, it is a MUST to separate/conceal red/blooming patches, or they will peck unceasingly!  Make sure the bullied hen has a nice full crop at bedtime, and put in enough feeders and drinkers that she gets her share. 

If I ever separate the bullied hen, I try to take out 2 chooks, so they have company, and an ally when they return, but you cant do this if she is bleeding.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 18:45 »
OK. Little Girl is now sprayed purple!  I've anti pecked her and they've all trotted off to bed together.  They've masses of room in the coop and there are plenty of places for her to hide - they just find her and hound her out.  we'll see what the week brings, fingers crossed they'll be some way to sorting out their pecking order.  Ta for help.

sad
Bullying help!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 16:33
by redmolly
xx
Bullying

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 14:10
by hulgrin
xx
Bullying hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 17:22
by Frizzle1
xx
Bullying

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by urban-chickens

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 39 queries.