bullying

• 5 Replies

raaaymond

bullying
« on: May 04, 2008, 13:17 »
We have four chooks 3 black rocks and one speckaldy 28 weeks old all from the same supplier all came together and were kept in the same run at the farm we have had them 10 weeks they settled down together nicely and have been laying and sharing the same nest.
now for no apparant reason speckaldy started bullying one of the others the same one each time leaves the others alone shes the only one attacking and there are no sores or obvious reasons on the bullied hen to say why  she should do it any ideas out there.
 We have tried scolding the offender seperating for periods of time but seems to no avail :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

LadyPlod

bullying
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 13:32 »
It's horrible seeing the ladies fighting isn't it?
When I had a similar problem, I separated the aggressive girl to where she could see and be seen, but not touch! Meanwhile the others strutted around and recovered and established their group. I put her back too soon, and the bullying started again, so back she went for another 2 weeks. When she went back the second time, at night, she seemed to accept the ones she was bullying and apart from the odd squabble, everything has settled down. She's still near the top of the pecking order, but not throwing her weight around like before.
I'm sure people will give you further advice, but it does seem to be a problem that can be sorted.
Good luck,
LP :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
bullying
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 16:13 »
hi raaaay is it the same one being picked on all the time, if so, so giving her a good sploshing of purple spray, may help.

it doesnt taste too good and will also help any little cuts or sores that she may have and you cant see.

Fire2920

bullying
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 17:27 »
Quote from: "babe"
hi raaaay is it the same one being picked on all the time, if so, so giving her a good sploshing of purple spray, may help.

it doesnt taste too good and will also help any little cuts or sores that she may have and you cant see.

Sorry to hijack this thread but, what is purple spray?
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
bullying
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 18:46 »
Purple spray is a spray which is purple  :lol:

You can buy it from the horsey shops.  It is similar to gentian violet and is antseptic and purple - the colour puts the hens off of pecking.

raaaymond

bullying
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 21:14 »
:? in answer same hen attaks same hen every time tried isolating the bully but may be not long enough as suggested i think i will try purple spray :?  :?  :?

xx
Bullying

Started by rileyslab on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 14:14
by snow white
xx
bullying between two!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 18:49
by peggyprice
xx
Bullying

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:31
by Casey76
xx
Bullying Hen

Started by Marligirl2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 08:09
by Sassy

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.