Blueberry Bushes

• 5 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Blueberry Bushes
« on: April 30, 2019, 19:33 »
Hi,

I got given some Blueberry bushes recently.  I jumped the gun a bit and immediately planted them in empty space in the fruit segment on my plot.

Then started reading up on them and discovered they need quite acidic conditions to thrive.  I know I can achieve the opposite to the soil by adding lime, what can I add to help the blueberry bushes along.

Thanks.

Didiaskew

Re: Blueberry Bushes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 21:26 »
Sulphur chips or flowers of sulphur both work well but takes a while to work, aluminium sulphate and ferrous sulphate can also be used.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 22:01 »
I'd dig them back up again and replant into ericaceous compost.  Perhaps one option would be a bottomless pot/flower bucket filled with ericaceous compost and then start using the sulphur when needed.  I just planted a blueberry hedge and built a 12 inch high trough which I lined with visqueen and filled with ericaceous.  Slashed the bottom of the visqueen for drainage but it should keep the plants in the acid they like.
Peak Hives

Didiaskew

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 06:56 »
Do you know the ph of your soil? It may be you don't have to do an awful to achieve the ideal ph of around 4.5 at the site I'm on in Harrogate the ph is already just over 5 so I don't have much of a problem

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:10 »
As well as the previous good advice, use rainwater rather than tap water, especially if you are in a hard water area.
Ericaceous feed (liquid or dry) can also help them along, but don't overdo it - blueberries can react badly to overfeeding.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 14:46 »
Look at the flora around you which should help give a clue as to the acidity of the soil. If things like azeleas, rhododendron, hydrangea, heathers,  onions, redcurrants appear to grow well then yous soil is more likely to be verging towards being acidic.
If you are having to add lime to get your brassicas to grow well then don't worry too much. Ericascious feed and mulching the plants with pine needles (rotted of possible) will boost the acidity
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
£1 blueberry bushes

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 10:05
by aelf
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 39 queries.