Miracle gro all purpose enriched compost

• 4 Replies

Ethel

Miracle gro all purpose enriched compost
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:33 »
I picked up a bag of this compost at the weekend. Meant to get multi purpose but took all purpose to mean the same. I only realised when I got it home that all the blurb on the bag is about wonderful blooms, with no mention of veggies. It contains unspecified enrichment to feed blooms all season. Do you think it would be ok to use for veg or would this enrichment be the wrong sort for veg- mainly squash. With apologies for yet another idiotic question, but it's all new to me.
Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.

Goosegirl

Re: Miracle gro all purpose enriched compost
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 13:09 »
It's not an idiotic question at all so don't worry. Gardening jargon can get quite confusing at times especially if you're new to it. All-purpose and multi-purpose are basically the same thing and can be used for both veg and flowers when sowing, potting-on, or in pots, troughs, tubs etc. When your veg are ready for planting, dig a hole and sprinkle a bit of blood, fish and bone-meal (BFB) in it then scuffle it in with your fingers. Pop your plants in and give it a good watering. Later on in Summer when your veg have established you'll need to add some more feed and this can also be a bit confusing when you see adverts for various fertilisers to use for potatoes, onions etc. Just use a basic fertiliser such as Growmore or Vitax, and for leafy greens add a few chicken manure pellets as well. I also like to occasionally water them with dilute sea-weed feed because it contains trace elements to give them a little boost now and then. Just looking at growing squash they need a good feed with extra potash so I'd use a tomato fertiliser like Tomorite. Hope this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ethel

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 21:02 »
Thanks for the advice goosegirl:)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 16:50 »
Just to help out a bit more. I much prefer multi-purpose compost (MPC) because it drains better than a soil-based one and it seems to retain more warmth. Only thing I would say is to get a good compost like you've done, because if you go for a cheaper one you'll probably get more lumps and other stuff in it. By the time you've got rid of them it's not worth getting it.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 18:50 »
for what its worth we have been using erin and clover MP  compost's both have proved quite good for potting and seeding not to much waste 3 bags for £12.00

xx
Miracle grow compost?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 13:55
by Trillium
xx
Miracle grow compost and tomatoes.

Started by andyw on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 22:18
by A Reyt Tayty
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 40 queries.