Sowing Linen Flax.

• 3 Replies

Hobovore

Sowing Linen Flax.
« on: April 19, 2019, 22:17 »
This year I intend to try and grow, process and dye my own Linen. The time is now to plant the seeds for an August harvest according to the little booklet send with the seeds. Unfortunately it does not say much about soil or moisture other than 'do not over fertilise' what ever that means.   

I have a choice between planting in clay loam ( not hard pan) under a dried leaf (not shredded) mulch or into mostly rotten but clumpy ( plenty of straw) manure. Any one know what the better option would be? The clay tends to get pretty soggy because of the mulch whereas the manure tends to go all dry and flaky, if that helps.

Hobovore

Re: Sowing Linen Flax.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:47 »

I could not find anything useful out there, seems home scale growing linen flax is somewhat of a dead endeavour which means I have to rediscover it all for myself.

I raked the manure till it screamed and bust into tiny pieces and will do the arduous task of watering everyday, they have also been put under a debris net to keep the birds off.  I did discover I may have actually sowed a little too far apart ( they should be close at around 2-3 inches between rows to discourage bushing out) but I have a few spare so will broadcast them around to try and close the row gaps.

chools

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 18:25 »
I know someone named Maureen is successfully growing flax here: https://www.highlifehighland.com/highlandfolkmuseum/
as part of a Phd and intends to weave with it for clothing. Sorry I don't have more details

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 20:41 »
How linen is made - material, manufacture, making, history, used, processing, parts, machine, History

retting has to be carefully executed.Hope you do not live too near any neighbours.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 20:45 by JimB »
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
Horse manure with Flax??

Started by Paul Canning on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 18:48
by shokkyy
xx
sowing now

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 23:31
by mrsbean
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RosieMay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 12:37
by Sid
xx
Sowing now

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:31
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 38 queries.