chicken killing her chicks

• 4 Replies

blodwen

chicken killing her chicks
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:04 »
Hello, i need some advice please!
Our broody pekin has been sat on her eggs for 21 days and they are now hatching, I checked this morning and two had hatched, she had killed one of them and was busy pecking the other chick and trying to kill it  >:( . I have removed the rest of the eggs and put them in the incubator as they are definitely on the way to hatching,( i can hear the knocking coming from inside!) and i dont want her to kill any more. I have never had a hen do this before, all our other pekins seem to be brilliant broodies and mothers, any ideas why she is doing this please?  :(

dizzylizzie

Re: chicken killing her chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45 »
Hi, sorry about your little one :( Has mum been disturbed at all, is she in a coop by herself?

blodwen

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:27 »
yes she's by herself, i'm so cross with her  :mad: poor little chicks. She seems to be looking after the chick she had been pecking now, it's under her wing and still alive so i am going to leave that one with her but keep a close eye on her. It is her first hatch but because all the others have been so good with their chicks i expected her to be too, my fault i suppose for just expecting it   :unsure:

Missie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15 »
Hi,I seem to have the same problem only all four broodies are in the same coop,i have sectioned it all off for each broody but I just went in and found one chick on the floor,i put her back in with her mum and she done what your's is doing,pecking at it insanely!

I do not have an incubator so Lord knows what i should do next!

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35 »
There must be something in the air.... I had the same problem.  I now have 2 chicks under an infra red lamp!  Seems a waste of electric for just 2 chicks!

xx
Help - broody killing chicks!

Started by henpecked on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 17:52
by babe
question
Duck Killing Chicken

Started by Prod on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 17:20
by joyfull
xx
Are there any chicken friendly lawn feeding/weed & moss killing treatments?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 11:35
by compostqueen
xx
Chicken pecking baby chicks

Started by Liamsbab on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 10:21
by Liamsbab

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.