charity shops rule ok

• 51 Replies

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
Re: charity shops rule ok
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 18:30 »
Doesn't everything have to be PAT tested nowadays, though?

That is part of the problem see   http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.pdf
The assumption is that the test is too expensive/complicated to make it worth the bother.
Much easier to throw them away.

BTW, Just recently found out that "PAT testing" is a tautology
as it means "Portable Appliance Testing testing" like when people say PIN Number

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 19:38 »
Yes I know what PAT testing is, the company I work for does electrical work. ;) Where people have rental properties, they have to have all the portable applicances tested on a regular basis. ;) But it is the law nowadays along with many other regular signed for safety checks.  :closedeyes:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 22:55 »
I thought you would know what it stood for, but PAT only applies to certain appliances.
In rented accomodation only the equipment supplied by the landlord needs to be tested, not the tenants stuff, and unless it has changed recently second hand sellers are NOT required to test.
As the link from the HSE says, it is not required every year, although many people will swear it is!

OH! I thought of another tautology, "LCD Display" would you say
 "liquid crystal display display" ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 01:02 »
Unfortunately most of the charity shops over here have the weird idea that they are not allowed to sell electrical goods (they are!) and so they never do.

This seems to be very much the case - it's very rare to see electrical goods recycled in this way but there's a charity shop not far from us (believe me I've stood outside them all.. but that's another story) and it sells all manner of electrical appliances.

I even went in this one - came out with a smashing BIG button BT telephone with amplifier (wow it's loud) for my father - no excuse now not to answer the phone.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 14:32 »
Charity shops aren't testing electrical devices because of a PAT requirement.  They're doing it for the Sale of Goods Act to prove that the equipment isn't faulty.  If it was unsafe, that would constitue the item not being fit for purpose and faulty.

Locally, some charities do sell electrical equipment (BHS, Mind) and others don't (STC, Cancer).. it seems entirely down to whether or not they have someone locally that can do the testing.

Anyway.. my best charity shop bargain find was my Yashica D..

Agatha

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 13:12 »
Jumble sales are even cheaper...we have a great one near us & people drive up to an hour to it, it's so good!  Our local charity shops are great too though & practically everything I buy comes from them.

BTW, if you buy clothes from a charity shop, never reject anything because its label says it's not your size...I've bought several brand new items from charity shops (some still have the label on)  that have definitely not been the size on the label - I think people just buy 'their' size from a shop & when they find it doesn't fit, they can't be bothered to take it back.  Fine by me  :D
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 20:05 »
where I live we have 1 really good shop with a changing room bought allsorts. They ha\ve explained the system to me after 3 weeks all clothes are reduced to half price on a mon and the date is on the label so I check the item and return the on the tues. great for items I want to sell on. If i'm really taken with something for myself i'll pay full price
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Junk Shops

Started by Thrift on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 21:30
by kenny199
xx
Allotment shops

Started by Nige2Plots on Frugal Living

15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 13:41
by Nige2Plots
xx
Flower Buckets - LOTS in shops because of Mothers Day

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 08:52
by cadalot
xx
£5 voucher off £40 spend at RHS garden and plants shops

Started by arugula on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2012, 21:32
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.