Creeping Buttercup

• 9 Replies

Lardman

Creeping Buttercup
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:11 »
I used to hate doc leaves, and their 6 foot long roots, but now I have a new hatred ... Creeping buttercup !!

I cleared it 3 times last year - and its back.  >:( From a 14x 12 strip I've removed a 75ltr compost bag full of the damn stuff and theres about the same to do.  Im removing everything I can root wise down to about  a spades depth.

Somebody reassure me that with constant cultivation it will finally give up and stay in next doors garden.

paintedlady

Re: Creeping Buttercup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54 »
Somehow I don't think it'll the last time you'll be seeing it   :(
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 14:39 »
i agree, i have it too, if u remove the root at least u get a few weeks break b4 u do it again.
i dont mind it tho,  think of it as cutting a cancer out of your plants.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 16:38 »
The best way i've found to get rid of them is to spray with Roundup, leave for a few days, then cover the whole lot with black plastic for a few months.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 17:20 »
The best way i've found to get rid of them is to spray with Roundup, leave for a few days, then cover the whole lot with black plastic for a few months.

Im trying to stay chemical free - but I can see me bending that for this lot if it comes back again this year. I don't mind a bit of hard work but this stuff doesn't play fair !!!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 19:43 »
Aiming to stay chemical free and aiming to eradicate creeping buttercup don't come in the same gardening book according to me.

I don't use chemicals due to expense - with certain exceptions. Taking roundup to creeping buttercups and dandelions in the allotment hedgerows is a very certain exception. Life's too short to be fighting the buttercup all year.

I remember saying to my dad (a farmer) that buttercups were pretty in the meadow. He said to watch the stock for the season because the sheep and cattle would eat round them so the only pretty he thought applied was pretty useless.  His observation was right and his comment stuck.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 21:03 »
My current nemesis is lesser celandine.  Ugh.  I'm pulling out sacks of the stuff, and trying to pick out all the pea-sized or smaller bulbils that'll regrow.  I think the previous owner thought it was pretty or something, because it's taken over all the ornamental borders and trying to infiltrate the veg. patch.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 23:51 »
I've got this at home and on the allotment.  It's been an 11 year battle in the garden so far and still going on. 

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 00:00 »
DOUBLE STRENGTH GLYPHOSATE , 40ML PER 5 LITRES WATER,

IT WILL DIE THEN COME BACK AGAIN , WAIT TILL THE NEW SHOOTS ARE 1 INCH HIGH THEN HIT THE BLIGHTER AGAIN , R I P CREAPING BUTTER CUP , LOL

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 18:32 »
I have creeping buttercup and yes, it keeps coming back.  I read somewhere on this forum that it can be a symptom of wet soil / poor drainage too.

Peterjf, can you take your caps lock key off again, please?  It's really hard to read and I feel as though I'm being shouted at.  Thanks
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 16:30
by gobs
xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 15:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Creeping buttercup

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 19:47
by AnneB
xx
Creeping buttercup on fruit cage area

Started by Turnba on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 20:12
by gobs

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 36 queries.