Question about Broody hen------And another

• 14 Replies

Prod

Question about Broody hen------And another
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:10 »
Firstly I don't know what I would do without this forum so thanks to everyone who helps and offers advice. I seem to be having a bit of a tough few weeks what with call ducks and infected eyes etc.  Anyway... hopefully a more simple question to answer. My bluebell has gone broody, she has been sat in the nest box for 2 days & nights in a row. I don't mind, it will be interesting to see what may hatch. She is sat on 3 or 4 eggs at the moment, not all hers, plus a dummy egg which, when I remove it, she rolls back!!  My question is - when a hen goes broody and lays her eggs are they already fertilized  or does she have to be 'trod' by the cockerel each day???  Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question....... :blush: :blush:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 19:28 by Prod »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Question about Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:08 »
No such thing as a dumb question, everyone's knowledge is gained learning from other people, books, personal experience etc.   The eggs are fertilised inside the hens reproductive organs, more information and diagram HERE.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 16:03 »
 :D  no what I meant was does the cockerel have to tread her each time before she lays her eggs or does she lay them all in one go, like whelping.  Also I checked today & she is till sat on only 3 eggs (not counting the dummy marble one) two  of which aren't hers.  The other hens haven't laid in the coop today either, is she scaring them off??

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 17:52 »
According to information online a mating can result in fertility for up to three weeks.

I recently bought two bantams (01/05/13) that had been in with a cockerel and I saved some eggs for hatching and I now have 3 chicks.  I had marked the eggs and the ones that hatched were dated 03/05, 08/05 and 11/05.  So it was buy two and get three FREE.   :lol:

They are the little black chicks in the picture.
Chicks 17.06.2013 016 (2000 x 1500).jpg

Prod

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:03 »
Veronica is now sat on 6 eggs, plus a dummy egg!!  Only one is hers (I can tell by the colours) so she doesn't appear to be laying any of her own, rather pinching the other girls eggs which is my problem as the other girls appear to have stopped laying, in the coop anyway. Ive had a good search around the field and I cant find any eggs.  As I said I don't mind Ronnie going broody, Ive never had one do so,  but can it be affecting the other girls laying? The two that I keep in a separate coop & enclosure  are still laying. :unsure: :unsure:

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:18 »
Yes it does affect egg production in the other hens.  They usually have difficulty in getting into the nest box in peace as the broody will tell them in no uncertain terms that it is her nest.  You risk the others going broody as well and stopping laying altogether.  It is best to separate the broody into a broody hutch/pen, do it on a night.  Sometimes this is enough for her to stop being broody but if she is determined she will settle on her eggs until they hatch.   ;)

Prod

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 19:21 »
I moved Ronnie last night and put her in the 'grower shed' with the chicks. I found her a wicker basket, put straw in and the eggs and she has settled down.  She came out for water and food today but then went back in and she has laid another egg so she has 7 now, all Welsummer cross, if they hatch.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:22 »
That is the sign of a good broody.  She must have liked where you put her nest and is feeling safe and secure.  Good luck with the hatch.  I have Welsummer bantam cross and they are a right mixture but lovely colouring coming through.

Prod

Re: Question about Broody hen------And another
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 19:30 »
Ronnie was sat on 7 eggs this morning, 3 cream legbar, 2 of her own and one marans.  Tonight when I checked on her one of the legbar eggs was missing. I searched her nest box and the shed thoroughly but could not find it and I am sure there was yellow streaks on the other eggs and straw. Could she have eaten it???? :wacko: :wacko:

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 20:19 »
Yes it is quite likely, sometimes the egg shell breaks and the broody will eat the egg and shell.  Other times it is when the broody knows the egg is not viable, waste not want not.  Make sure she has food and water within easy reach as it could be that she does not want to leave the nest.

Touché Turtle

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 14:07 »
Hi,
hope you don't mind me butting in but I have a broody hen query too, seems silly to start another thread with another similar title.

I have girls and no boys, so I know there are no fertile eggs. One of my hens has been broody for about two weeks. She insists on staying in the nest box, even though I keep removing any eggs as they are laid. If I turf her out(with lots of protesting)  she rootles in the garden for a little while then goes back in.
As she isn't ever going to hatch anything I'm worried how long this is going to go on, she is very determined, but isn't going to get her happy ending. I think she's losing weight, (there is a food pot hanging nearby) will she keep going to the detriment of her own health?
Touché Away......!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 16:55 »
She will give up in the end but it may take 6 weeks  :)
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 17:28 »
Yes it can be detrimental to her health especially in such hot weather.  You could try removing her to a broody box with access to shade, food and water.  This sometimes works as they want to be on their old nest.

Touché Turtle

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 21:01 »
Ok, thanks for your advice. I will try and separate her and encourage her to think of other things!

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 21:22 »
I put my young broody bantam in a rabbit hutch (in a cool dark shed) with food and water for around 5 days.  She wasn't impressed and is now back with the flock, roosting in the walk in run rafters and after a few days laying eggs again.   :)

xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d
xx
Broody hen question?

Started by Big Jen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 11:16
by WR1
xx
Broody question

Started by Miss Bean on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:11
by Miss Bean

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 38 queries.