Pets with feathers?

• 51 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Pets with feathers?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 15:36 »
You could have a couple of quail in there to help keep the floor clear of seed but they will of course make mess of their own.

I've never kept quail.

I've decided to only feed the birds inside so there the outside flight will just get a weekly hose down. The inside flight has a daily newspaper change and a hoover when there's seed shucks collecting. The birds are very accustomed to having the hoover nozzle in and out of their cage.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 20:03 »
I am going to use a hoover in the shed where I have my quail chick cage.  It ends up full of feathers as they moult and grow new ones.  Trying to sweep them up is a bit of a waste of time, they fly everywhere or stick to the floorboards.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 20:16 »
I am going to use a hoover in the shed where I have my quail chick cage.  It ends up full of feathers as they moult and grow new ones.  Trying to sweep them up is a bit of a waste of time, they fly everywhere or stick to the floorboards.   ::)

I bought a VAX cylinder machine with hepa filter. Cost £29.99 on an on-line sale by VAX. Does the job - no chasing fiddly bits with a handbrush and pan. Power can be turned up or down and emptying is very easy.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 20:41 »
Great photos ... really enjoying watching the potty shed make-over  :D.

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 02:19 »
Up go the outside flights....made in separate panels.

My father enjoyed watching the progress and my son - roped in to do most of the work!!

Timber.......treated with a wood-stain preservative that I'm told is safe for people, children and pets.

I did the pretty bits when I had a few moments free and acted as customer and planning consultant / designer.... general dog's body and tea boy.  ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29 »
Looking good.  Is it safe to have windows in, won't the birds fly in to the glass?

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 13:41 »
If you follow what my OH did, you should be free of rodents getting in, as long as you keep shutting the door when you go in and out to prevent the Usain Bolt of rats gaining entrance. As said before, my OH and his dad used to show budgies so, not knowing your knowledge or experience, and not wanting to diss you, if you need any advice, my OH will be only to happy to help you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 02:06 »
Looking good.  Is it safe to have windows in, won't the birds fly in to the glass?

I made wire-mesh covered frames to drop in place where the birds have access to glazed windows. I want to be able to remove them to clean the glass so drop-in ones seemed the best choice.

I haven't done anything about the windows in the parts of the shed that the birds shouldn't be able to reach but will need to sort something out for the colder weather I expect... insulation.

.............................As said before, my OH and his dad used to show budgies so, not knowing your knowledge or experience, and not wanting to diss you, if you need any advice, my OH will be only to happy to help you.

That's really kind and a much appreciated offer.

I did breed a few budgies as a teenager but that was so long ago and it was only a few budgies. I belonged to a local Caged Bird society at the time and my main interest was keeping, breeding and showing finches and other foreign birds.

Budgies seem altogether a different kettle of....... well you know what I mean. ;) 

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 02:15 »
I decided a 1/2 height indoor flight would give sufficient room for the birds, make keeping them clean easier and provide storage space underneath:

My son built and delivered the front and roof frame ready for me to paint and add wire mesh.

You can just make out four drop in window frames. One window (second from right) is an opening one and this will give access to the outside flight.

Goosegirl

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 14:43 »
Wow! You have really made your birds a lovely home,and what a lucky dad to have a son to do such a good job for you. My only advice now is - beware of squatters!! ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 15:02 »
Wow! You have really made your birds a lovely home,and what a lucky dad to have a son to do such a good job for you. My only advice now is - beware of squatters!! ::)

:lol:  Wise advice, I have already had one in my walk in run.  A blackbird thought it was an ideal place in the eaves to make her nest!   ::)  Luckily I spotted her when she had just started to build it.

Goosegirl

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 15:28 »
Aww - you meanie! Are outside birds excluded from your avis des-res area? Seems you might just have a place for both to exist together. A web-cam connected to a telly could be a source of interest during the next few months so you can see what's going on in there. Blackbird - nesting now? Crumbs.

ANHBUC

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 15:36 »
I was tempted but it is always a fight against scaly leg mites, lice, worms etc. from wild birds so a nest above them is not a good idea.   :(

Sparkyrog

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 15:38 »
Not really mean Goosie mesh large enough for a blackbird is far to large ! better to evict before she starts laying  :)
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 16:00 »
The mesh is 1/4" x 1/4", she had used the open door to gain access.  That was another worry that she would not be able to get out as and when she needed to.  I have changed the access now so the chickens have a pop hole door giving them access to free range in the garden.  Hopefully it will solve the problem of birds getting in as I did have a young chaffinch flying around earlier this year.  I just have to do the same in the smaller section of the walk in run for when the young birds are ready to join the main flock during the day.  It is on the long list of 'to do' things, the current project is putting the coop outside of the run with access to the run!   ::)

xx
Pets with Feathers?

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 21:42
by shoozie
xx
New Pet, No Feathers, But Scales !! Avoid if you don't like pets with NO LEGS !!

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 16:50
by LotuSeed
xx
our pets

Started by yaxley on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 12:59
by Agatha
xx
Your Pets

Started by mrs bouquet on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 14:16
by sunnywillow

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 38 queries.