Dandelion, Dolly & Dozy

• 10 Replies

Caralou

Dandelion, Dolly & Dozy
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:17 »
I collect my three new Black Rock's on Friday and am looking forwards to getting them settled and ready to lay by the summer - they're POL, but I'm not expecting anything for at least a month or two and def not until it warms up a little. I've also had two abandoned bunny rabbits and was wondering if anyone knows how the Black rock's and bunnies will interact if I put them in the same large run during the day once the weather warms (the bunnies are far too small to go out yet anyway).... Any help and advice on anything and everything will be much appreciated and I can't wait to get them :)

WR1

• Experienced Member
Re: Dandelion, Dolly & Dozy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:29 »
Good luck with picking them up :D

Well i got rabbits ( 2 one girl on boy ) and there all in together - rabbits chickens and ducks . they get along brill .... the rabbits got a few pecks at the start but then they showed them what they were and it all setled with in a day . There all best freinds now even the cockerel :O

So yeah should be fine !

Want pics thoof the bunnies and the chckens when you get them !

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

Caralou

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:36 »
Def photos once they arrive. The bunnies are in hiding - as are the 7 cats I have - they are all terrified of each other today, rather comical at present, but once they come out I'll put up group pics of them all  :D It is a lot simpler with the fact they'll be able to go in a run together as my garden's not really big enough for two large runs - grateful for the help there.

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:42 »
Cant wait for the pics :D

No probz :D   

Just make sure u introduce the both rabbits same time because if they dont take to them straight they will have each other ....... they probz will take pritty quick like mine did but you never now .... but dont interfear unless you feal you have to because it might take longer because they will have to keep sorting out who's at the top and stuff !

Other people might have different experiance and different opinion to mine .

Catii

Vember

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:47 »
Think your spot on there Catii :D

I have had rabbits in with my birds, only problem I had was naughty boy bunny doing what came naturally to him LOL
He never hurt them though, the peck on the nose soon sorted him out :D

Looking forward to pics also :)

Sarah :D

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:57 »
They're both little girlie rabbits - a girl at the local pet shop when I went to get suplies for them told me how to sex them bless her - was a lot easier than I thought, so hopefully no mounting will be involved! They'll be speyed by the time they go in together so that should help as well.

I'm just worried about the birds and the cold - probably a silly worry as they have their own feather wraps!!! Was wondering if I should put some carpet I have over the coop at night while the weather is cold or if it won't be necessary. I'm afraid you'll all be getting lots of silly questions over the next month lol :)

Vember

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 15:23 »
No such thing as a silly question :D

Foxy has done an excellent post all about over winter care here :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26974.0

In regards to the carpet, I'm sure the girls would appreciate the extra warmth, only snag I can think off is the wind blowing it off ??? You might have to find some way of fastening down - well you would here :lol:

Sarah :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 16:37 »
Here's a link to a wonderful lady in the states that is an author.  She has a blog complete with a webcam of her chickens.  If you click this blog, you will see that she has a lopear bunny in with them.  She also talks about how they interact.  All seems well.  Check out the picture of the bunny in the snow!  LOl! 

http://www.hencam.com/henblog/
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 20:07 »
i would love rabbits in my run with my giirls , and  the rules for my allotments is u can keep rabbits and chickens.

i would be worried sick they got out though ... everyone has said that a fox could never get in my run as its double wired etc but i would be scared senseless that the rabbits would dig out under the fencing . but god would i love to try to keep them .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 20:25 »
I'm sure with logs and plenty of stuff to do they'd be fine :)
I just used to keep an eye out for the start of a hole and then fill it in with stones, sure they'd start another off but that's what they do :lol:
Your up there twice a day Looby so you'll be able to keep a keen eye :)

2 is better than 1 as with everything, they need company :D

They soon get used to where they sleep and after a couple of weeks chasing them round the pen at night they'll soon have you trained LOL

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 20:35 »
i would probably let them do as they please of a night time , well the fox aint got in yet although i shouldnt speak to soon :lol: :lol:.

my mum would freak if i got rabbits shes already said no as the council told me at the time i got the girls that they were allowed , i'd have to rewire around the bottom of the 2 sheds though so they didnt go under there an hide  also it would not be until the summer if i decided to get them .

xx
Dozy hen-should i be worried?

Started by calamityjane77 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 01:43
by bacchus51
xx
Dozy bird laying in the run, not the nesting box

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 10:47
by tiptopchickendon
xx
Dolly and Jellybaby2 update

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 22:24
by Swee'pea
xx
Sweetpea, Cookie, Hattie, Dolly and Jellybaby

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 17:36
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.