Wooden Pallets

• 10 Replies

Chris Toker

Wooden Pallets
« on: June 24, 2008, 16:30 »
Hello All.

just a quick one for you all.

i am looking to get my FIRST allotment some time soon, and was wondering if there would be any negitive effects from using wooden pallets in the plot.

chris

jack russell

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 17:06 »
The only negative effect would be if you had to pay for them otherwise get them to build sheds fences compost heaps etc. a multitude of uses to any allotment :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

compostqueen

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 17:58 »
they're like gold dust. Everyone wants to get their hands on them  :D  You need four, all the same size, screwed together and et voile a compost bin. Line the insides with old fertiliser bags even better compost bin.  Folks use em to make fencing and hen coops. They make great decking for the front of the shed  :D

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Wooden Pallets
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 22:01 »
For a reliable source of pallets ask your local B&Q , ours advertises in the local paper most weeks ( but doesnt actually publicise who is placing the add) - you do have to collect them.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Wooden Pallets
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 22:14 »
Hi Chris,  welcome to the forum  :D

I don't think anyone would object to you using palets  - except, as has been pointed out a few times on this forum, just don't use the blue one's cos they belong to a company who will take action if they know you've got them  :roll:

How long till you get yours, do you think?

nosmo

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 19:25 »
I recently went round my local industrial estate and retail park.

I didnt just take I did ask the owners and got permission so its not that hard to get free pallets.

Got plenty from firms on the ind estate that were going in the skip for disposal and on the local retail park the loading guys at Focus dropped me some none-blue pallets out the back to pick up when I wanted.

Ended up with 3 or 4 bootfulls in my 4x4, 20+ pallets in the space of an afternoon :)

vespaman

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:32 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"

- except, as has been pointed out a few times on this forum, just don't use the blue one's cos they belong to a company who will take action if they know you've got them  

who owns them as theres no info on them,,also does this count for red ones aswell.

our work has over 200 of these pallets in storage,storage we would like back, :(

and i bet we have to deliver them to the said company,thats not gonna happen :D

theres gonna be some happy plotters in aberdeenshire soon

Jay Bee

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 18:11 »
http://www.courierology.co.uk/courier-glossary.php#pallets

http://www.palletlink.co.uk/pallets/pallet-pools/

Hth for starters.

I know we get calls every so often to ask if we have any we need collected. Have just checked with son who works outside in the warehouse bit - he says anyone that delivers them is entitled to collect them back - presumably makes for easier collection by the CHEP folks from a more centralised collection point?

Jay Bee
Jay Bee

lincspoacher

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37 »
Blue Pallets are owned by GKN. To possess one you have to have a pallet account, and then you  are charged 1p per day per pallet that you have. Therefore when you accept a delivery on blue pallets you have to give back empty one otherwise you're charged for them.

All blue pallets have a serial number on so they can be tracked.

Do not take, break or keep blue pallets or you are inviting trouble.

compostqueen

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42 »
I've got one. They can have it back any time they like.  I don't expect a knock on the door any time soon

Code Numpty

Wooden Pallets
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:59 »
Interesting about the blue pallets. We collect pallets for gates/compost bins/wood burning stove etc. Hubby told me that the blue ones (Euro pallets I believe) cost money which is why drivers get told off for giving them to you. I didn't know about the serial numbers.

Garden centres are another good source, our local Wyevale will let you take away non-blue pallets. We get cat food & litter deliveries, a pallet every time and everyone round here knows we never refuse wood. A builder has to pay to take a van/truck to the dump these days.

Last time someone offered us a load of offcuts it was all decking wood so really well treated and one piece was the perfect length for a veg garden plank. That made my week.
=^..^= The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

xx
wooden pallets

Started by evie2 on Frugal Living

215 Replies
Last post April 02, 2020, 14:08
by David S
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi
xx
I got some pallets!!

Started by foxydan on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 19:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 12:42
by doctorangler

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 36 queries.