Ox cheek

• 11 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Ox cheek
« on: April 17, 2012, 17:31 »
Has anyone cooked this - got hold of some today, very cheaply. Was thinking of slow cooking it with onions, carrots & red wine, then I'll put it into a pie, is the texture like heart?

mattwragg94

Re: Ox cheek
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 17:55 »
i have eaten pigs cheeks before - done in a stew.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 18:16 »
I haven't eaten cheek, but heart is an involuntry muscle and thus sort of smooth in texture where cheek as a voluntary muscle will be stringy and textured. Well, I know what I mean. ::) :D  Slow cooking, yes. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 18:16 »
Has anyone cooked this - got hold of some today, very cheaply. Was thinking of slow cooking it with onions, carrots & red wine, then I'll put it into a pie, is the texture like heart?

More like a deeper flavoured shin, I think it needs more than just red wine, it needs beer!

To the Ox cheeks add
2 red onions, peeled and chopped
Garlic to taste
2 midsized carrots, peeled and chopped in to lumps
Thyme sprig
big pinch of ground allspice
1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
A bayleaf
beef stock
Porter’s ale
Chop up the cheeks in to largish lumps coat in flour and fry until just caramelised. (you can forgo the frying, I do often)
To your slow cooker add the chopped meat the veg the stock and enough stock and beer to cover the cheeks.
 Cook on low for 6 hours
Strain the liquid and either reduce or pour into a jug and let the fat float to the top.
Pick meat from the veg, (chuck the veg) and put in dish, skim off the fat and pour the juice over the meat.

Eat with Cheesy mash, or long grain rice with a knob of butter.  and/or fried bread.
I had a great childhood :)
small scale gardener, large scale eater

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 18:25 »
I feel hungry now...... will have to raid OH's ale on the top shelf - thanks guys!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 18:44 »
Do you mind me asking where you got it Janey  :)  Rather like the sound of Tadpole's stew but never seen Ox cheek for sale  :)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 19:25 »
Do you mind me asking where you got it Janey  :)  Rather like the sound of Tadpole's stew but never seen Ox cheek for sale  :)

Dashed into Waitrose (Woodley), woman there said it was "very popular" however, they probably would have said that if I'd asked for arsenic tea  :D   never seen it before there either, although not my usual supplier, can order it in from jennings butchers in Hurst

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 20:13 »
my mum used to make brawn with it  ;)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 20:20 »
my mum used to make brawn with it  ;)

Of course, I'd forgotten that, along with chitterling, tripe and real faggots, i can remember her stuffing the casings after she'd washed and stretched them  :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 21:07 »
Thanks - will have to pop in when I am next over that way.

Waitrose in Caversham doesn't stock it, but maybe the butchers round the corner are worth trying  :)  They are usually pretty good if you pre-order stuff.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 22:13 »
Thanks - will have to pop in when I am next over that way.

Waitrose in Caversham doesn't stock it, but maybe the butchers round the corner are worth trying  :)  They are usually pretty good if you pre-order stuff.

THink they're part of the same group as the ones at Hurst, their local Old spot sausages are scrumptious!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 22:54 »
Ate it tonight, absolutely scrummy, DS1 had seconds, didn't tell him what it was, but DS2 (who knew) didn't eat very much. Will definitely use it again as it was sooooo cheap!

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.