Feathers Everywhere!! Help!!

• 5 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Feathers Everywhere!! Help!!
« on: December 01, 2011, 19:03 »
Ive got 6 ex-batts had them around nearly two weeks getting three/four eggs a day,  :) went into the run this morning everything fine, then got home from work and went to check on the girls to find FEATHERS all over the run! Im worried something may have attacked a hen? but they are only small feathers? the kind i find in the hen house every so often? could they be moulting? and does this look like a sign?

Any Advice PLEASE!!

Rich _Chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Feathers Everywhere!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 19:09 »
yes winter is the normal time for hens to moult
Staffies are softer than you think.

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 19:28 »
PHewww  :unsure:

There seems to be lots in the sand box i built them, an im sure if anything would have attacked the hens surly would have killed them?

Is there any signs i need to look for to confirm this other than them going bold?

An is there anything extra i should be doing?

Thanks

Rich_Chicken

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 21:00 »
Hi,
I've been giving mine a drop of apple cider vinegar in their water, but only use it in plastic drinkers !
They seem to like it. I also give mine a drop of poultry tonic every now and again in their water.
I have read on here that you can increase their protein intake , I gave mine a tin of tuna fish the other day they went mad for it !! But that's an expensive treat !!!!!!
Not all mine have moulted but one was really bald but the new feathers have soon grown and now she looks beautiful and soft again !!

tstainesmoore

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 18:53 »
Hi yeah they are going through a moult however thiso can whenever depending on teh weather throughout the year, it is more likely to occur in winter so that they have a new set of feathers for the cold winter and early spring. if it was a fox then you wouldn't have any chickens left. as they are ex battery birds then they are very productive layers and a balanced diet of layers pellest with an occasional treat would be ideal. giving them high protein supplements will reduce their egg production layers pellets for them is a balanced diet.

flimbin

• Allotment Vegs & Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 13:56 »
I was just about to post with exactly the same subject. I would not have put the exclamation marks in, but that's just me ! :)
i.e. One is always enough.
I digress.

One of my chickens has just done this as well. Seems a strange time of the year to be moulting, but if that's what can happen, then that's what's happening. I  gave them some apple cider vinegar and some fishy cat food.
After reading this post, I can now stop worrying. Thanks.

xx
feathers everywhere

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:41
by Ruby Red
xx
What the...oh new feathers!

Started by webwahm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 14:18
by webwahm
xx
feathers gone

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 18:32
by CluckyChicken
xx
Feathers

Started by brrian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 12:50
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.