does chicken run need roof?

• 20 Replies

Hawthorn Harry

Re: does chicken run need roof?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 12:59 »
I think my image has just got better!!! ;)

scrappydoo

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 14:02 »
I worried about using a tarpaulin because our garden gets very windy and I could see it billowing and scaring the hens, if not blowing off altogether and disappearing into the distance!
:D Hi Beulah59
               These tarpaulins I bought at £5.99 each are obviously only light weight, but plastic & waterproof if they last me thru to spring I'll be happy. They have tying eyelets at the edges which I've attached to the chicken wire then just lashed string in a zig-zag over the top to stop it billowing, certainly doesn't bother the girls at all.

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 09:45 »
My husband and I bought two sheets of the corrigated plastic at B&Q.  We put them over the mesh that covers our run and hold them in place with bricks.  That way they're removable when we need to get in for maintenace.  Works a treat and drains beautifully. ;)  Cheap as chips too!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

susan - happy hens

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 13:05 »
Hi Jackie,
We got our hens at the end of June and started with bird netting over the run but after the start of the monsoon summer - first few weeks in July - we got the onduling plastic from b&q to cover it.  It helps but the run still gets soaked but for us it's the best option. Good luck.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 14:03 »
We started off with mesh roof and walls.  I like the idea of open air because I can't let them free range in the garden.
But soon became a mud bath, and they were miserable.  Hens don't like to be wet.
So, added opaque corregated plastic.  Not the prettiest feature in the garden, but it is lovely to be under there when its pouring down, and still nice and airy because of the mesh walls, and still light because it's opaque.
Very glad we did it, though it did cost a bit to roof the whole pen.  But worth it. Happy, dry fluffy, chucks.

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 17:16 »
I worried about using a tarpaulin because our garden gets very windy and I could see it billowing and scaring the hens, if not blowing off altogether and disappearing into the distance!
Our run has a tarp over it and I moved the hens in on the windiest day we've had so far  :wacko:! It was OK when we started and we were committed by the time the wind came up.
The tarp is tied really tightly with cable ties but it still made the odd 'thwumping' noise that definately frightened the chooks. Poor girls, I stayed in chatting to them all afternoon and they went to bed fine and seem completely used to it today though it's not quite so windy.

xx
Onduline for chicken coop roof

Started by jmc1949 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 16:45
by Ema
xx
Chicken roof run - Covered fully or mesh?

Started by cudders on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 16:27
by Aunt Sally
question
Chicken advice re felt roof. Ist venture on here. Wot a great site.

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:12
by wafflycat
xx
Run roof

Started by chelle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 19:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 34 queries.