just lost fav hen

• 20 Replies

iowrooster

just lost fav hen
« on: August 21, 2009, 15:39 »
Just got home from walking my brothers dog and noticed our little white girl ,Tegen, wasn`t with the other hens. I found Tegen at the back of the run, her leg had been tangled in electric fence, and was obviously broken. Remember reading a post on here about a poorly hen and members persuading the owner to put the hen out of its misery, so I knew what I had to do.  It was so hard to do this to what had become my favourite bird, I even spend time thinking about her when I`m at work.  For the last 6 weeks we had come to believe that Tegen was a little , shall we say, special.  She would miss food when pecking and  have funny five mins where she would leap in the air and run around , scare the other two girls and then carry on as if nothing had happened.  She was so friendly and happy in her own little world.  The thought of her suffering is unbearable, and was made harder by the fight she put up when i had to do the deed.  Now wondering what if this happens again with the other two- who do stay away from the fence. We had brought electric fencing to protect our girls, and have tried as hard as possible to give them a good home. Oh just suggested I could have taken her to a vet, but leg was at such an angle,it was the best thing to do?

iowrooster

Re: just lost fav hen
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 15:43 »
Sorry forgot to ask, what do I others do with their girls/ boys once have had to do this? think i`m right that were not allowed to bury- I live in an urban area. Thanks for looking

Gemma_25

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 15:43 »
 :(

I hope your ok? I don't think I can really answer your question as i've not been in your shoes, but well done for being strong about it. Don't think I could ever make a decision like that.

:(
I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member :-D

iowrooster

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 15:49 »
Hey, thanks.  Is a horrible sickly feeling . Worried about the other two girls, they don`t seem concerned that she`s not there though.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 15:53 »
Sorry forgot to ask, what do I others do with their girls/ boys once have had to do this? think i`m right that were not allowed to bury- I live in an urban area. Thanks for looking

A lot of people bury their pets in their garden.  If you have children, it would be nice to have a "gentle" little burial ceremony.  It introduces them to animals dying in a kindly way,.

Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 15:56 »
I'm so very sorry, how heartbreaking  :(

My pets are always buried in the garden - as colliebird says, it can give a little comfort.

My thoughts are with you, so sorry  :(

iowrooster

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 16:04 »
Thanks for your replies. Will talk with oh this eve.  Just concerned now that it could happen again.
 She was prone to running about in little tantrums, can only guess this is what happened. When I freed her leg she even seemed glad to see me, but the leg was pointing to the sky :(   

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 16:14 »
Oh so sorry to hear your news, big hugs xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 16:20 »
Oh dear  :(

You did the best thing !

You're quite right - it is not legal to bury chickens in the garden.  You can bury cats, dogs, horses, even humans (with the correct paperwork) but the authorities in their wisdom say no to chickens as they are farm/food animals  ::)

Guess how I dispose of mine  ;)

Gemma_25

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 16:54 »
It's good the other two haven't reacted to her not being there. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Good luck!

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 19:40 »
Oh that is very sad, like you said doing your best to protect your hens :(
As for not being allowed to bury chickens :mad: It appears I have broken the law on a number of occasions :wub:
Jo

iowrooster

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 20:36 »
Thank you all for your replies.  We now have some freshly dug soil underneath a fuschia bush. Hope you all have a good evening

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 20:41 »
I am so sorry, it is very,very tough having to cull birds, I always cry. It isvery, very  rare to lose a bird due to electric fencing, the only consolation I can offer is that you are likely to lose a lot more to the fox if it wasnt in place, I know we would have had our stock decimated!
Again, so very sorry, however I applaud your bravery at doing the right thing.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 21:21 »
So sorry to hear about your hen, having lost two in the last 6 months and with another sick one (which we may have to 'help') I really do sympathise.  Hope you are OK.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 21:48 »
So sorry :( I had to do a 2 day old chick, my first. Took a large glass of something strong :(
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
A sad lost

Started by em&hens on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 13:16
by Jellyhead
xx
Probably lost the first hen :(

Started by DeadlyNightshade on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 09:21
by Vember
xx
lost a hen, so mad with myself

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 09:32
by CattinJ
xx
lost feathers

Started by martinsmith1953 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 16:30
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.