carrots

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

carrots
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:02 »
I was reading an interesting article the other day about growing carrots in pots although I've never tried this method it does seem something new to try although we have grew carrots in mix peat in a raised bed before and had good results

we have several varieties of carrots to sow I tend to buy pelleted seed I makes sowing more easy out of the varieties I've got I'm going to try Stromboli [pelleted] nates variety Mercurio [pelleted] nates red samurai and St Valery haven't decided what to put in pots or direct sowing yet

I'm not sure about the peat mix I've done for my carrots though its a mix of peat well rotted  horse manure and sand all ground up in a fine mix to sow my carrots in?  :unsure:

Mr Dog

Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 15:15 »
I was reading an interesting article the other day about growing carrots in pots although I've never tried this method it does seem something new to try although we have grew carrots in mix peat in a raised bed before and had good results

we have several varieties of carrots to sow I tend to buy pelleted seed I makes sowing more easy out of the varieties I've got I'm going to try Stromboli [pelleted] nates variety Mercurio [pelleted] nates red samurai and St Valery haven't decided what to put in pots or direct sowing yet

I'm not sure about the peat mix I've done for my carrots though its a mix of peat well rotted  horse manure and sand all ground up in a fine mix to sow my carrots in?  :unsure:

If you search for the Home Grown Veg channel on YouTube he grows most things in flower buckets and there are a few videos on growing carrots in them with variable results depending on variety.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 15:38 »
My neighbour grows carrots in pots, has done for years. he always chooses a fast growing (ie early) variety and sows as individually as possible... pelleted seed make this easier I suspect … and when he waters, always puts an inch of water in and lets it soak away. Does this twice so the soil is evenly moist. Pot has to be about four/five inches deeper than the ultimate length of the carrot to allow for the fine tap root to grow fully

Hope that helps... it werks fer me too  :D

PS St Valery is a long rooted carrot so I am not so sure it is suitable for pot culture.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 16:16 »
Just come back to add to my earlier post and see Sunny's beat me to what I was going to say regarding carrot size  :) I've found Nantes to work pretty well - we're having a few grown in a pot that were sown late July/early August with tea tonight!

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 17:17 »
thanks Mr Dog and sunshineband you replies are noted and most welcome RW

jambop

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 18:16 »
I would imagine Chantenay red would be perfect for you, half long and really a broad carrot with nice flavour an old variety I think. I grew some one year and I kid you not some were about three inches in diameter and about 5-6 inches long sweet and tender too!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16 »
I would imagine Chantenay red would be perfect for you, half long and really a broad carrot with nice flavour an old variety I think. I grew some one year and I kid you not some were about three inches in diameter and about 5-6 inches long sweet and tender too!

I've not grown this in a pot but had some last season in the polytunnel and they were enormously fat and very tasty too  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 11:09 »
Where are you getting your pelleted seed from? I've only found early nantes and autumn king pelleted.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:03 »
Moles Seeds have a very competitive range of pelleted seed including Mercurio Stromboli Early Nates and Autumn King the only down side to this is that they do come in large quantities so its an advantage to either share the seed with friends or keep the seed to use another year also there is a £10 .00 minimum order value

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
carrots etc etc

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 15:00
by Aidy
xx
carrots - help!!!

Started by teena on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 17:58
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Carrots

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 21:47
by Bozwell

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 48 queries.