Heated propagator in the unheated greenhouse.

• 21 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stree

Re: Heated propagator in the unheated greenhouse.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 16:21 »
To be honest, I think its an eminently debatable subject. Objective reasoning works for either side of the argument.
I tend to prefer my chances with rainwater, after all, what do the seeds sown outside get?
And nature has ensured that if it can grow, she has the rain for it, and it seems to be good enough for plants in the wild.
Been out and bought some more seeds, capsicum and Dwarf morning glory.
Some lettuce and spring onion as well but those are going straight into troughs.
Oh and some cress for my grandaughter to grow. She is 5 yrs old.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 16:34 »

I tend to prefer my chances with rainwater, after all, what do the seeds sown outside get?

They get rain straight from the clouds, not run off from a roof!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 17:28 »
To be honest, I think its an eminently debatable subject. Objective reasoning works for either side of the argument.
And nature has ensured that if it can grow, she has the rain for it, and it seems to be good enough for plants in the wild.

It's absolutely true that rainwater is "natural" but so too are the several different types of fungi that can cause damping off disease, and seeds sown indoors are usually being grown is slightly un-natural conditions (more humid, closer together, warmer) which all favour the growth of moulds. Why take the risk when the alternative involves no extra effort in most cases? (I'm usually one of the first to reject anything "faffy" that doesn't appear to be of much benefit!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Stree

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 17:36 »
Its my workshop roof, steel sheets and new. and a long way from any towns cities or industries to settle output onto my roof.  It if sited far enough away from trees to not suffer leaves in the gutter.
It has a central gutter between two peaked roofs and no gutter at the sides.
The central gutter outlet has graded filters in it from large mesh to fine mesh. Further finer filtration is mounted in the 4" feed pipe to the water butt.
So the sides run water off straight to the ground.
The ground where budleia, violets, snapdragons,nasturtiums, lobelia and pansies happily self seed.
So I am quite happy to take the "risk" it might present in terms of fungi spores over the salts, chlorine fluoride ammonia heavy metals calcium and whatever else goes into tap water.
If I am wrong it will be a costly exercise. Only one way to find out isn`t there?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 17:46 »
The odds are that you will get away with it, but much of gardening is about doing what you reasonably can to tip the odds in favour of success rather than disappointment, which is the point I was trying to make.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 18:15 by JayG »

Stree

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 18:22 »
I appreciate that Jay, I do, and am grateful for all the responses, knowledge is never wasted.Its a gut feeling for me, reinforced by the awful hard tap water we get here.
The shower, iron, kettle and taps etc begin to look like refugees from Mother Shiptons cave if you do not keep up with the limescale remover!
and I know its risky, but I have even used that water to make a brew in the workshop! not that I will make a habit of it. Just  a sort of proof of pudding after so much time and effort making the filter system.

xx
Unheated greenhouse.

Started by JaK on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 15:05
by JaK
xx
Can I sow in an unheated greenhouse ?

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 19:45
by hubballi
xx
Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 06:43
by mumofstig
xx
toms in unheated greenhouse

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 11:29
by jrko

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.