Raised beds

• 4 Replies

Jasper1

Raised beds
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:06 »
I purchased some timber last February to make some raised beds. The timber was treated with AC500 green and the cut ends have been treated with Osmose end coat green, but because of the treatment I have left the timber stacked  in the dry.  I want to use the timber to make a raised bed for growing fruit and was wondering if it's now safe to use.

Goosegirl

Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 14:56 »
As you have had no replies so far, I just thought I would say have a look at their websites or even ring them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 15:10 »
The company's user guide to Celcure ac-500 preserved wood (found through Google - sorry but I can't get the link to work) says

Do not use preserved wood under circumstances where the preservative may become a component of food, animal feed or beehives. Do not use preserved wood as mulch.

So I would definitely contact them before using it.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 15:26 »
I've only just seen this post.

These days I don't know what is over the top health and safety nonsense which is companies' reducing their liabilities and what is really not good for you.

This is a case in point.

I was doing some raised beds and wrote to a company who uses the barometric pressure treated timber which keeps the wood good for 15 years and they said "No to using an treated wood for food production." An informal chat revealed that in some (extraordinary) event that their chemicals leached into your food supply they would be afraid to be sued. So they say No.

Me? I take it with a pinch of salt. I don't bed my plants so close to the timber that the roots are bang up against the wood but about 12" in. I figure whatever roots might touch the timber has a minimal effect. Digging up the plants after a season shows me very little, if any, roots travel out to the timber, but rather more downwards.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 15:28 by Kevin67 »
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 21:23 »
The contents say:
Contains: Basic copper carbonate (Copper (II) carbonate – Copper (II) hydroxide (1:1)), Boric
acid, Benzalkonium chloride.

Cannot see the copper carbonate or the boric acid being a problem, Bordeaux mix is based on copper.

Which leaves the Benzalkonium chloride, this it seems can be prescribed for treating cold sores and fever blisters by doctors.

So in reality it seems there is nothing in AC300 treated wood that should really prevent it's use in a raised bed.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised beds.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 22:09
by richyrich7
xx
No dig raised beds

Started by exvmremf on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 22:42
by exvmremf
xx
RAISED BEDS

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

75 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 15:27
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 36 queries.