Automatic Spade-How do they work

• 17 Replies

Caltrad

Automatic Spade-How do they work
« on: January 22, 2012, 19:43 »
Hi All,

Been looking at automatic spades on line and am rather intruiged..they look a bit over complicated for what they do.

How exactly do they work? From what I can see the bottom portion of the shaft flexes slightly, presumably to catapult the earth forward, but how does the release mechanism work? What's the function of the small spring at the top? Is it just a return spring for the pedal?

I'm wondering whether I could adapt an ordinary spade witha hinged 'L' shaped foot pedal? it wouldn't have the 'catapult' action but would be easier than an ordinary spade.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Automatic Spade-How do they work
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 19:56 »
Hi All,

Been looking at automatic spades on line and am rather intruiged..they look a bit over complicated for what they do.

How exactly do they work?

Like this:

uZiziSP23BY
:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Caltrad

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 21:02 »
Wouldn't sticking a foot pedal on the back of a normal spade do much the same?

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 13:40 »
Can't see the benefit myself, it seems to move very little and would imagine it would only work with very loose soil?
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

GingerH

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 19:56 »
I don't think I'd use one. There's too many parts that could go wrong and break on it. I agree, that one could weld a foot platform on the back side of a spade and do almost the same thing. I've never seen an automatic spade before though. I do like to use some technology on my farm. One thing I really want to get is a Raven Cruizer lightbar for yield management and guidance to help prevent overlap.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 17:36 by GingerH »
Ginger - diggin' in the garden

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 13:49 »
I had to have major spinal surgery a few years back that has left me unable to do the things I used to do.
Even though the backsaver spades seemed expensive I decided to bite the bullet and buy one (either that or give up my plot), even on our heavy old Essex clay it has been a good tool, I can dig much faster with it that young able bodied chaps dig with a regular spade.
The results of my having bought it are, I now have two full plots and the young chaps have started buying backsaver spades.
As for expensive spares, I have broken a spring on it (through abuse  :ohmy: ) that cost £18 to replace, how much a good quality ash handle if I had abused a regular spade?
All in all to me personally, well worth the outlay and as for how it works, it does and thats all I need to know  :D .

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22 »
I had to have major spinal surgery a few years back that has left me unable to do the things I used to do.
Even though the backsaver spades seemed expensive I decided to bite the bullet and buy one (either that or give up my plot), even on our heavy old Essex clay it has been a good tool, I can dig much faster with it that young able bodied chaps dig with a regular spade.
The results of my having bought it are, I now have two full plots and the young chaps have started buying backsaver spades.
As for expensive spares, I have broken a spring on it (through abuse  :ohmy: ) that cost £18 to replace, how much a good quality ash handle if I had abused a regular spade?
All in all to me personally, well worth the outlay and as for how it works, it does and thats all I need to know  :D .

Saw a small coil spring for a Backsaver on Ebay for about £4.00 the other day!

Not sure on the quality though!

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 22:30 »
Thanks for the heads up Growster, touch wood I have'nt broken one since the first although it has crossed my mind that I may have forgotten to unhook the spring while the spade was'nt in use, never mind its taught me not to abuse my spring. 

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04 »
Thanks for the heads up Growster, touch wood I have'nt broken one since the first although it has crossed my mind that I may have forgotten to unhook the spring while the spade was'nt in use, never mind its taught me not to abuse my spring. 

You can actually wedge a piece of hardwood down between the back of the spring and the shaft Muckers, that makes the spring a bit tighter!

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16 »
What a happy coincidence Growster, I was asked when on a job recently if I could put the bucket of my digger through all the windows of a building and pull the frames out, no sooner said than done and ended up with a van load of 5"X3" mahogany.
Wedges are us.  :D .

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 14:23 »
What a happy coincidence Growster, I was asked when on a job recently if I could put the bucket of my digger through all the windows of a building and pull the frames out, no sooner said than done and ended up with a van load of 5"X3" mahogany.
Wedges are us.  :D .

Excellent Muckers!

Wedges are us - ha ha ha!

BTW, have they developed that old scrap yard at the top of the roundabout at Mountnessing yet? Used to be owned by a couple of brothers who argued a bit, then eventually owned by a member of the Sunley (builders) family I think!

That was rated as a good development site a few years ago, and may have missed the boat by now!

Just a thought, as will be pootling by on our way to Colchester on Tuesday...!

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:30 »
Ah yes, The old scrapyard, before the " credit crunch " Knight Environmental stripped all the contaminated soil from the site, a roundabout was built part on Roman Road part on the site with a new piece of road cutting across the corner of the site joining into Wash Road, The original entrance into Wash Road becoming a cul de sac.
All this not because the lady loves Milk Tray but because it was part of the planning consent for a hotel, garage etc, whats been erected since? a sign to keep the caravan dwellers off.
When you pass the 1st layby after the Mountnessing slip look to your left and see the new bit of fence were a passing motorist felt the need to leave the A12 and come into our plots  :ohmy: without the benifit of the official gate, Never mind, I managed to glean the broken off 6"X6" posts that make lovely water butt stands.  :D .

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:54 »
Ah yes, The old scrapyard, before the " credit crunch " Knight Environmental stripped all the contaminated soil from the site, a roundabout was built part on Roman Road part on the site with a new piece of road cutting across the corner of the site joining into Wash Road, The original entrance into Wash Road becoming a cul de sac.
All this not because the lady loves Milk Tray but because it was part of the planning consent for a hotel, garage etc, whats been erected since? a sign to keep the caravan dwellers off.
When you pass the 1st layby after the Mountnessing slip look to your left and see the new bit of fence were a passing motorist felt the need to leave the A12 and come into our plots  :ohmy: without the benifit of the official gate, Never mind, I managed to glean the broken off 6"X6" posts that make lovely water butt stands.  :D .

Thanks for all this Muckers, that's very interesting!

It was the hotel site we were looking at, but as usual, there were too many folding pictures of Charles Darwin to negotiate...

I'm sorry about your plots though, did he do much damage? It's amazing the tearing hurry some people are in just to get a bit of weeding done...;0)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Mr McGregor

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 16:26 »
Just used mine for the first time and I'm really impressed

xx
New spade!

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:10
by Browser
question
new spade

Started by Helencroft on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR SPADE ?

Started by Slowgrind on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 21:16
by Runwell-Steve
xx
bent me spade

Started by 3 allotments on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 10:07
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.