A strange discovery may be of interest?

• 6 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
A strange discovery may be of interest?
« on: January 26, 2011, 14:16 »
I like many suffer very often with bad indigestion so bad that my GP has prescribed me a particular medication for it.

However I have recently discovered whilst clearing out the usual Christmas extra buys I.e biscuits we never normally eat the bags of peanuts and the jars of pickled onions, and when I say clean out I mean eat  :D

On one particular day I had bad indigestion and being used to it I thought nothing of opening a jar of sweet silver skin onions covered in vinegar, what I notice however was as I was eating these onions the acid burn in my body was starting to disappear and whilst I could feel the rumblings in the tum blotedness feeling, the indigestion was actually disappearing?

Thinking this was a fluke the next time I had indigestion I did the same with the same results now if it is the vinegar or the onions that are doing this which seems strange as I thought the acid would make it worse.

I'm thinking a prescription costs over £7 where as a jar of sweet silver skin onions cost at most £1.

I will continue with this experiment over the coming months and feed back does anyone else eat certain foods that help with indigestion issues?

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: A strange discovery may be of interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 14:20 »
Remind me not to stand downwind of you!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 14:47 »
Interesting, I am also on meds from doctor for the same thing, luckily though when I got my first presription the doctor was a locum and got it a bit wrong so each time I get a repeat prescription now I get 112 tablets, I only take 1 a day.  Thats only about £24.00 per year so not so bad.

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 14:53 »
I use ginger either in biscuit form or crystallised its wicked

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 22:59 »
Docs will recommend eating a dry biscuit for indigestion. My sister gets it a lot but she drinks too much alcohol and when she cut it out she founds her condition improved no end

Vinegar is good for us so it could well be that it does help indigestion. You perhaps don't have to eat it with pickles though.  Try a teaspoon or two of good quality cider or wine vinegar and see if that works  :)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 21:01 »

Docs will recommend eating a dry biscuit for indigestion. My sister gets it a lot but she drinks too much alcohol and when she cut it out she founds her condition improved no end

Vinegar is good for us so it could well be that it does help indigestion. You perhaps don't have to eat it with pickles though.  Try a teaspoon or two of good quality cider or wine vinegar and see if that works  :)

Was thinking it was one or the two so am thinking about trying the vinegar on its own as for biscuits they just make it worse  :( It is not a food related indigestion though as I can eat most spicy things.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 21:14 by mumofstig »

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 10:01 »
I used to have a bad problem and took medication. GPs made no attempt to find a cause, they just threw meds at the symptoms.

Then a friend suggested I try cutting out wheat. Problem solved! Not only is my digestion now perfect but I have MUCH more energy and my immune system seems to be much stronger. I no longer suffer from continual bouts of cold and flu - not a sniffle since my system cleared out.

I don't seem to have a problem with gluten, just wheat. Avoiding that is a tiny price to pay. I have never felt so well in my life  :D

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 33 queries.