a bit of advice please

• 35 Replies

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« on: March 15, 2007, 23:33 »
hi all
I have been tinkering today

there was oil on the shafts on the tines so i assumed there was an oil  leek coming from the gearbox or bearings???  I had a bit of a strip down but the bearing would not come past the end of the shaft is there a reason for this ?

do i need new bearings or maybee a gasket for the housing there is no play when trying to move the shaft so i suspect the bearings ok.

i got carried away when cleaning and removed the engine to clean underneath :roll:

why has this bit of the body been cut away??

is it so there is access to the sump plug?

if so then imo it is daft as the oil would drain over the belt tensioner and belts, or am i wrong is it necessary to remove the engine to drain the oil :shock:

oh and bye the way how are the wheels fixed on ???? would like to take them off to paint

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 23:36 »
oh yes and what oil do i put in the gear box as the recommended on the plates is probs extinct :wink:

cheers

jr

muntjac

a bit of advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 23:38 »
looks like  new gasket job .. somebodies been bodging by cutting the hole to get a spanner in when i wasnt neccasry if you put  aspanner under before it had acces to the drain plug and no u didnt need to remove the engine to do the oil
the wheels usually have a pin through the frame holding the bracket for the wheels pull back an dthe wheels should drop off if its a merry tiller type rotavator
still alive /............

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 23:41 »
hi munty thanks for qwik reply

the wheels are no where near the sump onthis model you are right they do come off but the sump at the front above the belt tensioner thingy

cheers

jr

leeky

a bit of advice please
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 23:47 »
nice pics!  good to see some of the workings.

I WANT ONE!!!!!!

Bigbadfrankie

a bit of advice please
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:45 »
See what gwiz has to say but there is a oil seal on the shaft the leak is possibly there. My did. I put very thin grease in the gear box.
always have a target
and an objective.

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 23:28 »
i went to my local lawnmower centre today which aint really local but i thought it would be worth the drive.

i had all the model numbers serial numbers etc from my baby and asked the fella if they had a gasket for the gear box or if they could get one.
just then a couple of older fellas came through the workshop doors,  the younger asked them if they heard of a mountfield M1 estate. :shock:

They said to me ohhhhh it must be 30 years old why bother i said it has an oil leak coming from the shaft/bearing   the old fella said well the best bet is to keep filling it up :?

not,  oh!! we will see if we can get you the parts or owt like that,

just plain old get shot of it and buy a new,un

i explained i wanted to put it right , but they didnt give a hooooot :shock:

this business has been going a lot of years and i kinda think they forgot there roots and the fact that owning an older machine gives so much pleasure  

i bet my machine runs as well as any 2 or 3 year old newby out there as i have took the time to strip and lube every inch with love and care  :?

aunty sall dont even comment :?

:wink:

cheers

jr

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 23:33 »
JRT you can buy gasket card in sheets just mark it and cut it out yourself most car part places sell it.
agree with you about the lube though if its old you need to keep it well lubricated or it might seize up  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 23:37 »
well i guess you been thinking when is he gona ask about the jrt well now is the time i thought you had made an error at first but now i am ready for the slagging  :lol:  :D  :wink:

wots the T on the end :?

cheers
jr

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 23:39 »
Jack Russel Terrier
hows the pup doing anyhow ?

Gwiz

a bit of advice please
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 07:06 »
i know it can be very frustrating when the guys "in the trade" have that kind of attitude.
i try to help out when i can by "aquiring" parts for old stuff here and there.
but as i have said on other posts, most of the machines i see talked about on this forum is, by trade standards, very old indeed, parts for which stopped being produced a very long time ago, i would think that, like me, the guy in your shop knows full well that it would be no use whatsoever phoning mountfield to try to get a part as there would proberly be few people at mountfield that would even remember the machine.....the company has changed hands at least twice and relocated since production stopped on the m1 estate.
i reckon your best bet is the excellent link that one of our members suggested for belts, the company concerned do oil seals as well, dont phone and ask for an oil seal for a mountfield M1 estate tho, they wont know what you are talking about. instead take all the measurements of the seal and give them that
you could use gasket paper to make a new gasket, its good stuff, but how about one of the modern instant gasket pastes? i use it a lot on "antiques" when new parts are unobtainable.
just thinking then as i made a cup of tea, how many of us are still using 30 year old cars or fridges, tellys, radios, washing machines, hoovers and so on? i bet there are still a few around, but not very many. half the trouble is, i think, the older machines, in the case of rotovators, were built quite strongly and it seems many of them have far outlived the companys that made them.
its a * isnt it? :cry:

Bigbadfrankie

a bit of advice please
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 08:09 »
Old rotovators as Gwiz has said were built well. Also they only work a few hours a year for most of us, and not 8hrs a day every day. Cameras are another thing which may only do a few films in a life time so can also be in good condition years after the maker forgot them. The guys at the lawn mower shop are not going to earn much on ever lasting rotovators.

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 18:23 »
The little terrier is great very well house trained caught him eating cats poo in the back garden little 5h1t  why does he do things like that :?

I have just had my baby working in my mates garden and i am knackered like going three rounds with Mike Tyson.

going to have a shower then go back to his to drink his beer and eat a nice ruby as payment.

what about the gear box oil ????   I just filled it up with lawnmower engine oil is this ok it seems like that was what was in before.

cheers

jr

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 20:00 »
never seen ours eat cat plop mate but she has a taste for manure  :?

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 20:37 »
ohh JRT gear box oil is the stuff you need but ive used regular engine oil in my tiller

xx
Hoe Advice Please

Started by donald.cape on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2006, 18:14
by donald.cape
xx
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE

Started by beansticks on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 18:06
by beansticks
xx
Scythe advice

Started by Chuffy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 22:26
by Chuffy
xx
Advice on rotavators please

Started by RichardA on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 15:04
by RichardA

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.