How to start a new compost bin

• 6 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
How to start a new compost bin
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:34 »
This morning I managed to get (for free) two large plastic compost bins which I've just taken up to my new allotment, which I got a couple of months ago.

I know it's probably the wrong time of year to get going with the compost, but I am always up for a challenge.

I cut my lawn for the last time last week and kept the grass, together with the few leaves which were on the it, so no doubt that can go to the compost.

I live near the coast so could get some seaweed, if that would help ... The question then is always, should the seaweed be washed first ?

I have, in the past few weeks managed to fill 5 large builders' dumpy bags full of leaves, which are now nicely sitting in the corner of the allotment making leaf mould. I suppose I could take a few leaves to add 'brown matter' to the first compost bin.

I'll keep potato peelings etc now, which could be added, but of course that won't add much volume.

What else can I add now, or is simply too late to even consider any composting ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How to start a new compost bin
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33 »
Couple of pointers

- I put some rough cut sticks in the base of mine to help airflow
- Lawn clippings can get very slimy so I always mix them with plenty of shredded paper
- Leaves rot a little slower than most veg materials, so don't overdo them
- Kitchen waste and allotment prunings can all go in, including potato peelings and green weed tops (not usually perennial roots), chopped nettles or comfrey etc
- I just mix each new addition into the previous layer, wearing gloves
- My bins are sited where they get plenty of sun as this helps them heat up even better
- If you have rabbits or other pets. their soiled bedding is a useful addition

and as for the seaweed: you really need permission to take seaweed from the beach or foreshore, so unless you can get this, best leave it in situ

Hope that all helps -- and it is fine to start today  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33 »
Mix shredded paper and cardboard into the grass cuttings to add brown matter volume and help aerate it, plus any peelings. I'd leave your leaf compost as it is. As for collecting seaweed, read previous posts on here including mine as to whether you have the right to do so.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47 »
I add kitchen waste etc to my home compo bin all year round. You have to!  It's the Law  :D
Leaves, I'd keep separate. Leaf mould is something else entirely. Well, it is in my book  :) 
I do add green grass mowings to my bin when I want to get it really cooking, but only when it's hot and sunny and I know I will get a real pressure cooker going.  Otherwise I keep the grass mowings in those builders bags that you've talked about.  It rots down very fast in them I've found.  I don't put grass in my compo bins during the winter

My kitchen waste compo bins are for just that, with nothing else added. The material rots down fast and is always the first to be turned into the lovely crumbly compost. In winter things slow down but even on warm, sunny days of winter you can feel the warmth from the bin when you take the lid off

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:00 »
All good advice of course, but however you put it together don't expect composting to take off quickly at this time of year (especially with a cold snap forecast at the end of the week.  :()
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04 »
I agree it won't do much but it will be ticking over and you can keep paying homage to it. Saying hello to all the worms and chucking in a tea bag now and again  :D  You can give it a stir occasionally just so you feel like you're helping things along.  I keep a long, steel rod at the side of mine, for stirring purposes  :)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 22:09 »
Possibly a bit late in replying but given the OP's starting point  I would mix all the grass and leaves and fill the bin to the top and cover it. Next week it will have sunk to half full, so it will need topping up to the brim.  I wouldn't go out of my way to get seaweed, but a bit of manure would help to kick it off.  Other accelerators are available  :blush: 

Keep the pile as big as possible, moist rather than wet, and I bet it will be steaming away in a fortnight.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
Best way to start off compost?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:45
by Snap Dragon
xx
Keep compost/rubbish heap or start again?!

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2014, 21:35
by snowdrops
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 34 queries.