help ill chicken

• 13 Replies

scampy

help ill chicken
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:56 »
I have a 22 week old pol fantail bantam and noticed yesterday she wasn't coming out of hen house with others.  She seems to have seperated herself from others and seems very tierd.  Thought maybe she was getting ready to lay.  Today though she is worse, she is just sitting there.  She seems to have no energy.  Have seperated her from others and have had a feel of her vent and stomach area feels soft.  Can't see any mites on her.  She is just sitting there with one wing drooping and head on chest falling asleep.  If i approach she seems more alert but not moving much.  She feels same tempreture as other birds but she isn't right.  Managed to get her to drink some water and have put chick curmb in with her.  Checked eyes and nose and no discharge.  Any one got any ideas?

Vember

help ill chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 15:10 »
She might be about to lay a soft shelled egg,
Sometimes mine go very lethargic and seem distant almost, then out pop's a soft shell and they perk up again :?

Sorry can't be of any more help,

Sarah :)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
help ill chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 17:42 »
What is her poo like?

poultrygeist

help ill chicken
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 18:06 »
I'm with Vember. But check poo and see if there's any other symptoms you can spot.

Is she being bullied as far as you can tell ??

Rob 8)

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
help ill chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 22:51 »
I had one like that,then she popped out 2 soft eggs infront of our eyes.She was very lethargic for about 1 1/2 hours after,& had a sleep,then she was back to normal!Laying a soft egg can be very traumatic for them,she wasn't really interested in food,seemed tired,withdrawn,seperated herself from the others.I hope this is all it is,fingers crossed.Hope you get her sorted out
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
help ill chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 23:58 »
sometimes in the past my bantys took to doing the same. it could also mean that they are feeling broody as they want to sit as a matter of course put an egg or 2 under her in the nest and see what she does. she might dismiss the idea but at least that is one dillemma out of the way!
try seperating her from the others for one week if that doesnt help to let her come to her senses, and by doing this you are quaranteening the bird from poss infection to others! hope this has helped. :o  you could also try stress feed from a good farmer that sometimes helps!
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

scampy

help ill chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:58 »
checked poo and it very white and watery.  She seems colder this morning so have put hot water bottle under her.  She is still eating and drinking which is a good sign.  Have let her have a little walk about and she is walking better.  But still very lethargic and one wing is really drooping.  Will keep her seperate for a while.  When I put her back will the others remember her or will it be like introducing a new chicken altogether.  I have got her sister out there too.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
help ill chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13 »
It sounds to me as though she may have Marek's disease scampy.

The wise old keeper would say cull the birds, but that is not what you may want to do.

Was she vaccinated at day old for it - check with the supplier.  If she was then she may well recover from it.  If she wasn't she may get worse.  Definitely keep her isolated from the other birds or they will pick it up as it is highly contagious.  Make sure you clean the house very well.

scampy

help ill chicken
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 17:41 »
Sad to say Ebony didn't make it.  Found her dead this afternoon.  Checked with supplier and weren't vacinated for Mareks disease.  Really worried now has had two others from there of same age.  Also have to 2 ex bats will they get it if it is Mareks.  Is post mortem only way to find out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
help ill chicken
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 17:54 »
The ex-batts will have been vacinated !

Vember

help ill chicken
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 17:56 »
Really sorry to hear that Scampy

Keeping everything crossed for you & the other girls

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
help ill chicken
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 18:22 »
It's very sad Scampy but the best thing you can do now for the other hens is to remove them from their house and run and give it all an EXTREEMLY thorough cleaning.  The virus is spread by feather dust (called feather dander) and remain in the dust for ages.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
help ill chicken
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 23:37 »
So sorry,that's awful :cry:

chookiepaula

help ill chicken
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 17:17 »
Sadly a PM is the only way to diagnose Mareks. If you decide to do this try an d find a poultry vet as normal vets will not necessarily know what to look for, unless they send away tissue samples which starts getting expensive. To find a poultry vet go onto www.bvpa.org.uk/ you will need to email them.

It may not be mareks though so dont panic just yet, ill birds will hand their wings but it does not necessarily mean they are paralysed. Are all others ok? Cleaning the house is a good idea, ensure you use a disinfectant which will kill viruses. The problem with mareks is it can hand around in soil etc. for up to 2 years.
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken poo

Started by bazh on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 10:01
by mumbley joe
xx
Which came first, the chicken or the ...?

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 21:40
by Jellyhead
xx
another new chicken ???

Started by babe on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 23:12
by hazelize_uk

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 35 queries.