change in behaviour

• 6 Replies

mikebucks

change in behaviour
« on: April 04, 2008, 18:56 »
Hi everyone, here's a question i have not seen asked before. My chickens are coming up to 23 weeks and we are expecting some eggs soon. We got them when they were about 13 weeks and had been in a large shed with loads of others but didnt have much regular contact with people so far as I can tell.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether their behaviour will change when they start to lay. What I am asking really is, will they become more friendly as they mature past 26 weeks etc. or are they set in their ways? I am hoping that they will of course as they will eat out my hand but if I try to touch them they skwark and run.
anyone?? :?:

Mike

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
change in behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 19:50 »
My ex batts were very timid when I got them, within a few weeks of pampering they eat out of our hands. Yesterday after 6 months one of them jumped onto my hand and perched there like some great bird of prey whilst i walked the field, it was lovely that she has gained so much trust in me.  :D  :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

poultrygeist

change in behaviour
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 19:53 »
Ours were 18 weeks in mid-january when we got them and they were pretty feisty (as you'll see from a couple of my posts on the forum!) but I tried a couple of things that were suggested and we came to an understanding.
They do seem to have calmed down a bit now they are all laying as if they grow up a but.
One thing I did notice is that when I go in the run with green overalls on, they go mad and peck me but in blue jeans they are a lot more calm.
Could be coincidence but the green seems to excite them.  :shock:

So yes they do seem to calm down a bit but there may be other things you can do to gain their respect. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions shortly.  :)

Rob

mikebucks

change in behaviour
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 20:41 »
Thanks I shall just persevere and hope for a leap onto my arm!

ness

• Experienced Member
change in behaviour
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:35 »
I've been making a concerted effort to make my 2 more friendly, I have had then since chicks but also had their mother who wasn't at all tame and would alarm call when I tried to get too close.
I spend a few minutes every day (or when I have the time!) feeding them a treat (mealworms are great for this) while sitting on the floor, making them jump onto my lap for it.  When they were happy with that I would just stroke their backs while they are feeding.
Chuckles is now happy to be stroked and picked up (food has to me involved!) although Princess Snow White is still wary.  
Neither will jump onto me without food involved - but they do follow me round the garden.
I dont know how many you have - sitting on the floor with mealworms may mean you get mobbed! :shock:  :lol:  :shock:

poultrygeist

change in behaviour
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:07 »
Quote from: "ness"

I dont know how many you have - sitting on the floor with mealworms may mean you get mobbed! :shock:  :lol:  :shock:

That's the problem I have. I tried worming using the 'hide it in a grape' method. The first grape got snatched then they all ran off chasing, then the 2nd one was dropped and they mobbed her, then realised where the others were and tried to get them. I think our 6 feel so safe as a group that they try to use bullying with anyone/anything. A dove got in teh run and was cornered and would have been pecked to death had I not got to it within seconds.
I think as the weather improves we can spend more time in the run with them and start to assert some authority.
They're happy to jump on my back when I crouch down, etc but if I have food, they'll try to treat me as they would another hen and start bullying to get it. VERY competitive and VERY greedy !  :)
When we increase the run they'll have a bit more room to spread out and maybe feel a bit less frustrated. I think they have 'spirit' and are very inquisitive so I want to use that to teach them the rules !

Rob

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
change in behaviour
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:01 »
Our sebrights were very timid and jumpy when we got them. They are slowly coming round and will now eat out of your hands and come over when you call them. I think it just depends on their pesonalities how long it will take. The sebrights have come round more since one of them was injured and we had to clean him up and have him in the house for a couple of days - now i think they know we are being kind to them.
We also found little pieces of cheese to be good bribes for the first few attempts - then changed to grain when they got used to us.

xx
Behaviour change during moult?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 18:41
by nerdle
xx
behaviour ???

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 16:04
by SoniaBA
xx
Odd behaviour?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 13:47
by Carolf
xx
Behaviour

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 18:26
by SurreyLass

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 36 queries.