Old p/c games

• 20 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
Old p/c games
« on: November 09, 2022, 23:21 »
About year 2000 my daughter introduced me to an adventure? game that you had to search an area/room to find/collect objects that could be used to further progress to next room/level. She had internet at the time and I did'nt and I couldn't keep up.
Can anyone recall titles of that game?
Ecky

Lardman

Re: Old p/c games
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 07:32 »
That's an entire genre of gaming and could be any one of thousands of titles. Can you remember any more about it ?

There's still a thriving community of gamers playing most of the big names classics so as long as it was too obscure you should still be able to find it.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 22:26 »
I don't recall it being a famouse/headlining game. I remember a desert level, an aztec theme and pirates on galleons. I know it's a long shot but wondered any way. Thanks for anyhelp.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 22:38 »
Monkey island , myst any of them doesn’t exactly sound like but the were quite popular

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 06:49 »
This may help...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games

I never cracked 'Myst', it was on a laptop and also is still on an iPad, but - nope!

I like 'The Room' series though, especially the last one!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 22:32 »
Monkey island , myst any of them doesn’t exactly sound like but the were quite popular

It's not Monkey Island, Myst was my first thought. It had a ship but no pirates as I recall and I don't think it had an Aztec level either.
Unfortunately there were so many of these types of games in the early 2000s it's hard to think what it might have been.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 23:16 »
Thankyou for your replies especialy Growster for the Wiki link. It's going to take a while to look through. I'll let you know if and when I find what I want.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 13:21 »
look for HOG, was it Big Fish games as they did 100's

I like the MCF

loads availble on phones for free

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 20:49 »
Another good en was broken sword

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 08:23 »
When we bought our first ever computer, an Amstrad 464, back in the eighties, there was a fabulous adventure game called 'Rigel's Revenge', which was mostly typed narrative, but quite complicated! We spent hours on it, until one day, we saw the answer in the form of several pages of narrative, which I dutifully typed in to get the result - it took me ages!

Back then, you loaded the computer via a cassette, then the programme afterwards, but when you turned off the machine, you lost all the work you'd done, as there was no internal memory...

Guess what...

Yup, a daughter did just that!

But 'The Devil's Crown' was fantastic, so was 'Fruit Machine' and a PC version of 'Trivial Pursuit'! I even bought a music composer which was rather like a very basic version of Garage Band! You could even write your own stuff using 'Basic' programme language, and I really was hooked on that particular job!

Happy days!

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 15:22 »
I remember the noise aswell when it was loading game would load about 1 in 10 lol

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 16:47 »
My first computer (well Christmas present for the kids) was a ZX81 with a 16kb RAM pack. No cassette, so manually typed programmes. Line 1, Line 5, Line 6 etc. Got to Line 1499 (one to go!!) and it would CRASH. Progressed to a ZX Spectrum 128kb. Again a Christmas present for the kids. And finally a cassette. The bees knees. I still possess the computers and games. Yes loading games was a squawking, shrieking affair. As was if I remember correctly connecting to the internet prior WIFI?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 21:43 »
My first computer (well Christmas present for the kids) was a ZX81 with a 16kb RAM pack. No cassette, so manually typed programmes. Line 1, Line 5, Line 6 etc. Got to Line 1499 (one to go!!) and it would CRASH. Progressed to a ZX Spectrum 128kb. Again a Christmas present for the kids. And finally a cassette. The bees knees. I still possess the computers and games. Yes loading games was a squawking, shrieking affair. As was if I remember correctly connecting to the internet prior WIFI?

Yes I remember the ZX81 - we didn't have the 16kB pack to start with!

We used it on an old B+W TV, which had a habit of going snowy after a while ...

And there was a flight simulator game. I once managed to land the plane (but forgot to put the wheels down, so crashed anyway  :mad: :D )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 22:26 »
Yeah I forgot the modem lol they don’t know there born now lol

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 06:18 »
Anyone remember 'Harrier attack'?

We spent ages on that one, and the real joy was getting to the buildings at the end and realising that you could start all over again!

It was best with a joystick too...

xx
Old DOS PC games

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2024, 14:14
by Lardman

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 51 queries.