Some sad news from GG .. BUT!

• 35 Replies

Goosegirl

Some sad news from GG .. BUT!
« on: October 14, 2022, 11:15 »
Last week I learned that my husband has Parkinson's disease. Apart from the fact that he has other continuing medical ailments it has been such a big blow in our lives, BUT .. at least he has an answer to the various symptoms he's been experiencing over the last six months as he was so afraid there would be nothing found via the various tests he's gone through. I needed to post this because there may be others on here who are in a similar situation where it's having a devastating effect on them and/ or their loved ones. If anyone wants to post on here or PM me, that's fine. GG has rather broad shoulders that have been a source of comfort for others and am willing to offer them plus lots of my famous GG hugs to anyone who needs them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Debz

Re: Some sad news from GG .. BUT!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 11:25 »
My very bet wishes to you and your husband as you navigate this new and identified challenge in your lives.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:41 »
Sorry to hear that GG as you know ML suffered with it.  If you have a diagnosis at least that's a start. Get them to work on the medication until they find a regime which best fits the symptoms and your hubby rather than just rubber stamping a madopar prescription. Make contact with your local PD nurse and if you haven't already start then looking into the social support side of things the diagnosis will provide an entry pathway in.  We managed ML's symptoms largely without medication for nearly a decade until it took her off her feet, in the end she died with PD rather than from PD.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 11:58 »
Oh. Thank you so much for that info. I didn't know anything about a PD nurse for him so will have to look into that as to who I need to contact etc. As he's only just been diagnosed, he's currently on Midodrine and Sinemet. I'm 74 so can't do or be what I used to was, but I'll so do everything I possibly can for him. I also know how it takes its toll on those closest to them so, as I don't drive now, our niece has been so supportive to either pick us up from home or we get a taxi there and she brings us back. Whatever, we are so lucky to have our dear friends with us all the way.  ;) 

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 12:34 »
Oh GG, I’m so sorry to read this, but with you at his side & as his advocate I’m sure you’ll both navigate the best way through this storm. My father in law was diagnosed with this, along with other health issues too. He wasn’t the best of patients sadly & he & MIL wouldn’t put systems in place in til it was too late to be of use sadly. Getting involved in groups etc can only be a good thing in my mind & working through things & more importantly talking through things together needs to be a necessity. Also power of attorney to include medical/ health if you haven’t already done this so hubby gets his choices now whilst still able to articulate what he wants. Big hugs to you both.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 13:27 »
I found everything out the hard way, as we were offered absolutely no support or advice, I was initially absolutely clueless.

The monitoring is important to get the balance right - they had a habit of making adjustments for ML based on a 5 minute standardised interview and sending her way for 6 months at a time  :mad: without checking the side effect or impact of the adjustments.

If you haven't already get the attendance allowance and carers allowance filled in, if nothing else it will pay for the odd taxi.

Good carers are worth their weight in gold are in high demand and charge accordingly,  start looking around now even if its just the odd visit to help with domestic chores or ferrying to the hospital you will find it easier to increase care gradually with a company you have an existing relationship with.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 17:12 »
So sorry to hear this, GG - can't add to anything to what others have suggested, but you can always vent on here yourself if you need to
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 17:36 »
Im so sorry to hear this too GG... like others I can't add  anything to what others have said but you're all in mine and Mrs R's thoughts!  :closedeyes:

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 17:51 »
As others have said, Goosey, we're all here for you!

Like the idea of getting attendance allowance sorted too - it can be a great help!

Love from 'The Turrets'! xxx

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 07:42 »
All I can do is send love and as many virtual huge as required.

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 09:07 »
Don't every forget GG that we're here for you too.  Being a carer can, at times, make you feel very isolated and alone, so if you need to vent, have a chat, or just unburden yourself, we are ready to listen and hopefully lighten your day a little.  Try to make sure you have a little 'me' time each day, and take advantage of every bit of help you can get, although initially it seems overwhelming to get it as you almost always have to fight for everything that you will both need.  I used to find my allotment shed a very useful place to let off steam with a few screams and a lot of tears that I didn't want anyone else to see - (obviously when nobody else was around)!  Sending love to both of you.

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 09:11 »
Like the idea of getting attendance allowance sorted too - it can be a great help!
The system is there to assist, might as well make use of it. Whilst AA and CA are both financially comically small amounts they are gateway benefits which will then allow access to other more important services and support groups which may actually be of assistance for both GG and Mr GG.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 09:46 »
I'm sorry to hear your news - we're all sending our love across the ether.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 09:55 »
Oh, I cannot say how much your posts have helped me. Mr G had an adverse reaction to one of his new meds so he got a taxi to our local A&E yesterday afternoon and he's still in there. I rang them up to see what was happening and he's been moved to one of the medical wards. The sister there said he was charming the pants off everybody! Our niece is coming here shortly to collect his special meds, so I informed the day nurse called Shane. What a chuckle we had especially when I told him my OH calls me a daft tart, so he finished his conversation by saying Cheerio, you daft tart. Best laugh I've had for a while. God love you all for your wonderful kind posts. I shall look into what I'm entitled to re- carer's and attendance allowance. BTW, do they have anyone who can help me if he suddenly falls on top of me???  :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrsPea

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 17:12 »
Sorry to hear your news GG just sending lots and lots of love and big hugs  :)
I Love my green house

xx
some very sad news

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2021, 07:52
by AndyRVTR
xx
How to see news one really wants...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 15:35
by jdwmk
xx
GB News...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2021, 08:48
by Growster...
xx
Sad News re Dabhand

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2019, 20:32
by wapello

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 51 queries.