Age of please.

• 5 Replies

Beano

Age of please.
« on: July 14, 2022, 19:51 »
Could someone please tell me what approximate age these two are, please. They are bantam cross breed. I have been told they are 10 weeks old.  Are they? I am more used to full sized hens so finding it difficult to believe.  They are fully feathered. Hope the photo helps.
20220712_175924.jpg
El.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Age of please.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 23:02 »
They are young birds and could be 10 weeks, but it is hard to be exact about that.

Why are you doubting the seller if you don’t mind me asking. My rule of thumb is that if you sense something is not quite right with a breeder, walk away.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 10:46 »
i think that age is about right within a week either way   are you worried they may be roosters
from bow like to grow

Beano

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 12:58 »
I'm not too sure what I'm worried about to be honest. I don't  think they look likely to be cockerels. It's just that when I brought them home, they looked so small. I've usually bought POL hens, not 10 week old bantams. I have them in a little run separate to the two big girls. They were free ranging with the seller. I was told by the seller to keep them on the growers for another 3 weeks. I am making sure that they are sheltered from the sun.  What else do I need to do to make sure they are well looked after please?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 13:45 »
10 week old bantams are pretty small and they look well, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Keep on doing what you are doing and just give them plenty of time to grow up before you attempt any mixing.  They will have no chance against full sized adult hens for quite a while yet.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 14:03 »
Thank you for your reply New shoot and Steven c. Thank you for your advice New shoot. I will keep them away from the big girls for a good while, as you suggested.

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 44 queries.