Apples, out of fashion or what?

• 19 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Apples, out of fashion or what?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 19:27 »
There are US apple varieties that I truly miss.  Arkansas Black is a very deep dark red, crisp and tart.  You can find the trees at nurseries if you look, but the apples are never sold here anymore.  Stayman Winesap is another, fantastic baked, fried or in pie, but also great fresh.  I suspect these fell out of favor because of appearance.  The Arkansas Black skin is, well, VERY dark, almost to the color of a plum, and dull (nevermind that it is wonderful to eat).  The Stayman is also not picture perfect, as there is usually russeting near the stem. 

Other apples from when I was a kid are McIntosh (still around), true Johnathan is now relatively rare, but an old favorite.  The "Johnagold" is a poor substitute.  "Red Delicious" is still around, but I have no idea why, unless you like an attractive but mealy, tasteless to slightly bitter apple. Some of the new apples are OK, but not necessarily memorable.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 13:16 »
Stayman Winesap. I'm sure I went to junior school with him. He once tried to give me a kiss so I slapped him over his head with a rolled-up Beano comic. :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 13:26 »
 :lol:GG, you are a one  :)
Zari is the name of the lovely apple from Sainsbury’s I bought that are British grown, really tasty & so far they’ve had them every week in packs of 4 so last week I bought 3 packs!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 13:43 »
On my last Trashco order there were 4 Bramley apples. I made a pie with some yesterday and the filling tastes of nothing at all, just a hint from the lemon juice I added.
 So I really don't think they were Bramleys at all.....

Lardman

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 21:51 »
Shop bought MoS - never as nice as the real thing. Try lobbing an desert apple in there too for the next one, it may improve things a little.

xx
Apples again - what to do with them?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2022, 21:19
by Growster...

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 40 queries.