Apples, out of fashion or what?

• 19 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Apples, out of fashion or what?
« on: October 08, 2021, 16:06 »

I have ten mature apple trees. God knows why I planted so many all those years ago. I love apples either raw or cooked and have stewed apple with my breakfast most mornings. When I first started cropping them thirty odd years ago, giving away the surplus was easy, most people loved apples and ocasionally kids used to try and pinch them. Now, they seem totally out of favour and apart from those I eat and the ones I give to next doors pigs, they just fall and rot away.

Is this just North Cumbria or have apples lost there appeal elsewhere?

Lardman

Re: Apples, out of fashion or what?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 17:16 »
I think they've gone the way of the tomato. So much tasteless wet pap churned out by the supermarket all year round that people just don't value them anymore, if it's not shiny and red and just full of juice.  They're still very much appreciated here (but then I grow proper varieties  ;) ) and if it makes you feel any better I had a very nice egremont russet for lunch  :tongue2:

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 17:28 »
English apples are still the best you can buy I get mad when I look for a good eating apple in the super market to find there not English  :mad:

there are quite a few people put apples outside the gate here free to those who want them there soon snapped up to

I think today people don't know how to cook apples today or its just to much trouble to cook apples when they can go to the supermarket get an apple pie or apple strudel and it ready to serve in 20 minuets served with ready made custard

unfortunately its the sign of the times these days what's the best thing on the table well a home made apple pie of cause with some proper custard or fresh cream or a nice English apple cut up raw after dinner no wonder apple orchards are a thing of the past

we went to a cider maker in Northamptonshire last week who had a very large orchard several hundred apple trees lovely red apples all to be hand picked the following week

needless to say we had to sample many ciders on tap talk about apples they wasn't out of fashion that day its was apple nectar we bought a few bottles home to remind us of that lovely visit and we may need to top up when they run out  as you do :D :D

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 18:20 »
I have become great friends with a lady near us who has access to an orchard.  Both cooking and eating apples, cookers now frozen eaters in those stacking trays that mushroom s come in.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 19:13 »
I wish I lived nearer Alan, I’d snap them up, I love English apples. I never saw any English discovery this year :unsure: I so look forward to them every year  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

perris

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 08:42 »
this recently started up in Swansea - terrific idea, could be implemented elsewhere
Sweet Pickings ? Ensuring nature's abundance of fruit does not go to waste

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 18:07 »
sounds good to me Perris

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 12:42 »
I heard that in Kent they've uprooted all the Bramleys and Cox's as they're not wanted. DER? Fortunately we were down in Oxfordshire last week and got three carrier bags full of Bramleys for making apple sauce as they're no better variety for it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 13:04 »
Bramleys for making apple sauce as they're no better variety for it.
I have a tree I've grafted from an old tree (40-50 years), an unknown tip bearing biannual cooker on local waste ground that would disagree  :nowink: .

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 16:51 »
Sainsbury’s had 2 varieties of English apples in on Friday, I bought both varieties, unfortunately I’ve thrown the bags away 1 was a Braeburn I think & the other was unknown to me but I tried that 1 today & it was lovely, so I’m going to need to find out what it was  :nowink:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 10:27 »
In my opinion, there is nothing tastier than Egremont Russets. They're great keepers as well so I'll be having them stewed with my breakfast every morning until Christmas at the earliest

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 12:45 »
Near here (Marden), there's a lovely farm that sells several old faves, and we need to get over there sharpish, as at a quid a decent sized bag, they're fantastic value!

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 14:12 »
One of note for the american style apple lover. I've just harvested the first of my sweet sixteen apples and they're very nice indeed if you like your apples with a fresh, crisp/crunchy, juicy , sweet flavour with the occasional hint of candy and raspberry, I imaging children would really like them.

Nothing left on the kidds orange red this year though, tufty and his mates have taken them all  :mad:  :( In fact most of the trees have been stripped this year, but I notice they haven't touched the Jonagold or Gala, make of that what you will.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 16:21 »
but I notice they haven't touched the Jonagold or Gala, make of that what you will.  ::)
They'll just be leaving them for 'ron...

Debz

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 08:06 »
Wish we lived closer, we'd love to help you eat the apples.  We've visited a local orchard for the last two years.  They offer a juice experience.  You pick and help make the juice and take it home but you can try any of the apples in the orchard as you are picking and my kids love it.

xx
Apples again - what to do with them?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2022, 21:19
by Growster...

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 52 queries.