A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...

• 94 Replies

Lardman

Re: A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 07:35 »
Don’t worry about the “Smart meter” Lardman I had one installed 2 years ago by OVO and it still doesn’t work properly.
Not working is only one of my concerns - I have far more and deeper concerns about it actually working.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 08:51 »
I think the issue with smart meters is the government obliged suppliers to install them once that is done they aren’t really that bothered from my experience. Companies prioritise installation of new meters over ensuring existing ones are actually working correctly. Probably down to not having an adequate number of appropriately trained staff.
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 14:14 »
Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert has been urging people who are on variable rates to check and fix now, as rates are indeed due to shoot up imminently.  Even if the fix isn't much less than your current variable rate, you'll save into the future when variable rates go up.  But yes, it's not cheap anywhere!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 18:35 »
Good advice Yorkie, thank you!

I was actually working out what to do when you posted this, looking at various comparison sites, poking around the 'maze' etc., and yet another check (the seven hundredth) with EDF seems to have got me the best deal - fixed for two years at any rate!

The new Ofgem 'cap' is confusing to say the least, and not easy to understand for sad nerds like me and my spreadsheet even, so goodness knows how many pleasant citizens are being ripped off without knowing how or why!

Anyway, thanks again! A glass of red here to celebrate!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 18:36 by Growster... »

wighty

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 20:09 »
We've had problems for the last two  years with Scottish Power and our gas meter and finally after a second intervention from the Ombudsman we have a result.  We have received a refund  of all the 'estimated' bills back into our bank account and within the next six weeks our gas 'smart meter' will be activated.  All bills will then be based on that and a  back   payment for the last two years will be requested based on the first reading taken.  We have put the amount refunded into a savings account we have so we won't be scrabbling around to try and  pay  the bill.

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 12:40 »
Think I'll do that with Shell - thanks.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 17:33 »
Just read that Bulb are hiking their prices too.

They're all at it now!

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 20:39 »
I moved from EDF back to Scottish Power this afternoon on a 3 year fixed so you can almost guarantee that rates will now drop like a stone  :nowink:   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 21:05 »
I moved from EDF back to Scottish Power this afternoon on a 3 year fixed so you can almost guarantee that rates will now drop like a stone  :nowink:
Sounds about right  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 05:25 »
Sounds about right  ::)

I did another check online and saw the deal with SP, and then started the whole process again with EDF (current (?) supplier).

They'd 'recommended' a 3 year Fix, but the 2 Year Fix was cheaper, so I went for that.

Who knows, we may have 1,000,000,000,000 more windmills by the time it comes to change again!

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 10:32 »
With the quidco cashback the 3 year worked out at a better price. The monthly DD is 50% more than my usage so that will need to be resolved swiftly (I don't like monthly DD for that very reason) - I'm not a family of 4 and actual usage is always lower than what the system estimates. 

I figured now was probably the last chance to fix at an overpriced rate rather than an extortionate one later on but I also thought the same about mortgage rates in 2007  ::)  :lol: so what do I know. 

All those EV's we're going to be driving will need charging and HMRC will want to recover the lost fuel duty at the pumps at some point.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 16:04 »
I've just switched Mum from her Coop Octopus rate to a 2 year fixed with Sainsburys - there wasn't much to choose from, so hopefully the switch will go smoothly.  Steered clear of the very cheap suppliers, as I'm not sure which ones are strong enough to survive ...

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 07:45 »
"Steered clear of the very cheap suppliers, as I'm not sure which ones are strong enough to survive ..."

You get 'looked after' by the government if that happens, but I guess a lot of these shenanigans are down to the COP chats to go on soon, and gas wholesale costs are getting in on the act as well. I'm afraid that the great energy rip-off is going to be headlines for some time to come.

I also don't think anyone really knows what's going on at the moment - all I know is that I've just had a hike of £59.00 per month, so that's Mrs Growster's new hat gone out of the window..:0(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 09:24 »
No doubt the French will be thinking about turning off the supply cable under the channel, because we chose to be more friendly with America and Australia   :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 15:41 »
Stig had a good deal with one of the small providers, he just text me to say that they've gone bust  :(

Worrying times - considering that I'm with a small 'greener' company and a couple of hundred in credit towards the winter bills  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Mine (Green) has gone bust as well, according to MSE *sigh* at least it says that they can't keep any credit we've built up....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 16:03 by mumofstig »

xx
Which is the more economical with electricity.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 11:46
by JayG
xx
cost of things

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2024, 19:42
by jaydig
xx
What does it cost for some one to cut the grass

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 20:35
by LILLILEAF
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 53 queries.