What are your Halloween traditions?

• 7 Replies

WeavingGryphon

What are your Halloween traditions?
« on: October 30, 2019, 21:14 »
Is anyone willing to share their Halloween traditions?

There was a bit on the radio earlier about bringing the traditional Scottish traditions back into Halloween. Turnips not pumpkins, Guising not trick or treating. Then there was a discussion about what the different areas of Scotland did and what pagans did. One area in Fife celebrates the 24 hours after Midnight on the 31st, some areas put out a chair for dead relatives, others a chair and food. Then they didn't dare look at the chair in case it was inhabited. Others celebrate their family dead by having a party, others by being quiet and thinking. Everyone dressed up so that the ghosties, ghoullies and long leggied beasties and things that go bump in the night wouldn't realise that they were human and go for them.

Anyone willing to share what their area of the world does? The bit that you grew up in or live in.

Where I grew up we didn't do anything including trick or treat until the 90s and it was people copying what the Americans did. We kids saw this on TV, pestered the parents can we do this so the adults agreed and it was organised. Then the rough kids from elsewhere found out and hassled people so we kept going but the adults said "shhh, don't open the doors to them". At Guides we dunked apples, ate apples from strings, painted faces and had a party.

Husbands lot dressed up for Guising- Scottish Trick or Treating, ate jammy doughnuts off of strings, dooked for apples and ate spooky food.

We have cut up a pumpkin which we'll stick a candle in because it's easier to carve and PIE, we'll be guising with the kids. I will make food Husband's favourite dead relatives liked, apple cakes-taste of autumn, maybe banana bread and stewed beef for tea then visit the in Laws. Husband's family just like spooky food and family over to Mother In Laws for noms.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: What are your Halloween traditions?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 21:34 »
Dont do pumkins anymore.

Do do owt to be honest  :lol: Grumpy old man syndrome!

Kids grown up now so lost interest.

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 14:44 »
Never done Halloween even when the children were small.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 15:43 »
Pray for rain !  ::)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 18:02 »

We had to carve out swedes (not turnips) and didn't our fingers hurt!  Eating more than we should as we carved.  Dad used to sharpen an old spoon for us to use.

Mam used to say "Go outside and watch the moon, the witches ride their broomsticks to the moon to sweep away the cobwebs".

Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 18:54 »
Our tradition is to avoid it at all costs!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 21:14 »
No memories of any sort of Halloween celebrations growing up in the London suburbs in the 50's.
Here in Sheffield, for several years I've bought a box of chocs as a 'treat' just in case a psychopathic 5-year old decided to firebomb my house as a 'trick'  :ohmy:
For the last 3 years or so I've reluctantly ended up scoffing them all myself, but tonight I'm down to half a box.  :wacko:
On balance I'm quite happy with that, especially as the groups of kids were all polite and had their parents supervising them in the background.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 23:37 »
Mother In Law said Trick to a 12 year old boy tonight. Was told in good humour "hand me your car keys and I'll make it disappear".
My two danced for their sweets. One woman almost got them stoned  >:(, she about floated out the door on the cloud of weed. Almost all the treats were gone for some confusing reason.  ::) . She was lovely and chatted away to them, just totally out of her gourd.
One of the areas down the road from us residents compete to make the scariest garden, many were really impressive. One man had over 200 people guise him and had to send a family member to do two runs to the shop to get more stuff. At some houses it's not a small packet of sweets, there were bags with all sorts of things in them including glow sticks, toys and balloons.

Didn't make pumpkin pie, too sore and had to lie down  :( :mad:

grin
Bit of halloween fun

Started by SnooziSuzi on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 18:42
by Christine
xx
Halloween

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2021, 19:32
by snowdrops
clip
Halloween pumpkins!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 14:43
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 44 queries.