terrible weather

• 11 Replies

jambop

terrible weather
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:09 »
Having a terrible spring down here this year. My garden has been water logged for weeks now the soil is cold and wet ... but the weeds are growing. I would normally have has the ground ready to plant lots of stuff but all that is in at the moment is my garlic in a raised bed. How my strawberries have survived is a mystery , I was think about fitting them with snorkels  :lol:
I have some stuff growing in the poly tunnel which will get planted out when the ground dries out a bit and my spuds have good shoots on them but it will be a few weeks before they will be in the ground.  A lot of thing will of course catch up but the major problem is things that don't like it too hot like pak choi and cabbage these will just get frazzled when the sun does appear.

al78

Re: terrible weather
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 18:02 »
Similar in the UK. Even the weeds haven't got going on my allotment. March has been a full winter month and the start of April doesn't look great, with a full day of continuous rain and 7C temperatures predicted for Easter Monday, this following the 24 hours of continuous rain on Good Friday. You couldn't set up worse bank holiday weather without being destructive.

It is bound to improve sooner or later, by which time things should get going quickly with decent daylight.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 16:02 »
No better here in Brittany.

The ground is sodden and can't be walked on or worked without turning into gloopy mud. And it just doesn't 'feel' like Spring yet.

However, blossom buds are swelling on the fruit trees and the slugs and voles are (unfortunately) pretty active - unlike me having to wait impatiently for things to dry out a bit before planting my potatoes.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 16:52 »
it seems like Easter come early this year that's  made the winter stretch more into spring making us all feel downhearted that we can't get cracking on doing what we like best our gardening

some like me have resorted to the greenhouse but with the rain beating down on the glass our hopes of getting down the allotment are going like the rain down the drain

and like most our ground is absolutely sodden and will take days to dry out to cultivate  if one's sowing seed in a cold greenhouse it still to cold for germination on most seeds

also there's quite a lot of fields been ploughed ready to sow but that to is getting to late for cereal sowings to get any sort of profitable yields so where all in the same boat waiting for the sun to declare spring has officially arrived hang the all the raincoats up and roll our sleeves up to start doing some real  :D work

afcb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:24 »
Just looking out of the window as more snow falls on the 4 inches we had overnight. It will probably be at least a week possibly two until we can get started, it will all be fairly tight for time by then!!

Pescador

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:22 »
Here's the 30 day forecast from Terry Scholey, who I find to be the best long term forecaster around.
Still some cold spells to come but with some warmer periods as well, just about what you'd expect for April.
https://www.gavsweathervids.com/terryscholey.html
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 12:34 »
A lot of thing will of course catch up but the major problem is things that don't like it too hot like pak choi and cabbage these will just get frazzled when the sun does appear.

At least you know that at sometime the sun will appear; for us it is not when but if  :unsure:

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 16:48 »
Here the same.. On some parts the garden is so wet, my feet slip away trying to walk it.

What I have been doing for years is, with a 'hand drill for soil' you know, one of these things you twist around and it digs it self in, dig holes as deep as I can get so the water will collect there. You can also make permanent ones by filling them with pebbles.
The garden we have now has a ..gully? around it. We started expanding it on one side so that side of the garden has good water draining. It really makes a big difference: we already have been able to plant the unions.
Maybe it is still helpful to drill holes but otherwise: for the next season.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 19:48 »
I have to say that here in Hull we get away with a lot of the rubbish weather the rest of the country seems to suffer - unless the wind is in the east! Loads of rain today, but the forecast for tomorrow is reasonable. Went to see my son in Stratford last weekend and they have had a few days of rain with the rivers rising and bursting their banks, standing water in fields etc. Our allotment has stood up well to these problems, but temperatures are still low. Lots of seedlings in the greenhouse waiting to go out. Problem is - I'm off to the Canary Islands on Thursday! Do I risk planting out before I go? Average temperature there is 24C. Should I take the seedlings with me and leave my wife at home? I think I know the answer!

al78

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:22 »
Here's the 30 day forecast from Terry Scholey, who I find to be the best long term forecaster around.
Still some cold spells to come but with some warmer periods as well, just about what you'd expect for April.
https://www.gavsweathervids.com/terryscholey.html

The Met Office 30 day outlook suggests something a bit more promising (although it could hardly be worse than the weather we've had over the last month):

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/long-range-forecast

Very low confidence, but a suggestion of a north-south split, with warmer temperatures in the south, with colder conditions and night frosts in the north. There is an overall outlook for the weather to become more settled, so hopefully a decent spell of dry weather this month which is really needed to dry the soil. I want to sow carrots soon but it is a waste of time if the soil is waterlogged.

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 13:18 »
Although we escaped most of the snow here, our winter was very wet indeed! Then we got a few strong easterly winds that dried the ground somewhat, but Easter was literally a wash-out! Today the sun is out and despite a westerly wind I can actually feel some warmth in the air. At least my onion sets are planted and seeds will be sown soon.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 20:23 »
Well, I have been trying to get my garden greenhouse put up for months.  It was scheduled for 3rd week in February.   Kept being postponed due to rain and snow.  It finally went up today but only after OH scooped gallons and gallons of water away from the inside of the base.  As it was being put up it kept filling up again!  Still I am very pleased with it. Now to grow something in it.  Will need to wait for the allotment to dry out before I plant anything there.

xx
Terrible looking Strawberries

Started by bazial on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2023, 10:58
by Debz
xx
terrible potato crop

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 10:57
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
new plot, terrible condition

Started by evilhobo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 21:00
by gremlin
xx
Terrible Weeds in Aspapagus Bed :(

Started by flowerpower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 19:47
by flowerpower

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 49 queries.