Ack.. My Brassica Leaves what can I do?

• 14 Replies

ravenaround

Ack.. My Brassica Leaves what can I do?
« on: May 18, 2009, 13:53 »
I went to my allotment yesterday to discover it seems the birds have taken huge chunks out of alot of my planted brassicas. (Brussels, Broccoli and cabbages)

What is the best and also most cost effective method of removing this problem without employing Wurzel Gummidge...

I've looked at other peoples plots some have no obvious deterent yet their leaves are ok.

Some have put cut to shape mesh around every single brassica leaving just the tops open and exposed.

I've read about using netting but I have planted alot of brassicas over a wide area and I'm not sure its cost effective.

Also if I start protecting these hobbled brassicas now will they recover or do i need to replant?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 13:54 by ravenaround »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Ack.. My Brassica Leaves what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 14:03 »
As far as my plot's concerned netting is the only way to go.

Use it - or lose the plants.

As to whether they'll re-grow, depends if they've taken the growing centre out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

noshed

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 14:13 »
Netting - the 99p shop stuff is good enough - a few bits of stick and you're away. I use cds as well but I'm not sure they have that much effect.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

ravenaround

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 14:40 »
Ok,

I'll look in the shops for the netting when I'm out next. :)

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 15:24 »
Net them! The net will also keep the butterflies at bay.

But the net must not touch the leaves ;)
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

canwickplot

• Biffasblog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 15:56 »
I've got a net over my brassicas. It doesn't cover the whole lot completely, and when the butterflies are about in full force I'll have to fill in the gaps. But for now it keeps the birds off. Either they haven't gotten smart enough yet to notice the gaps or they just can't be bothered to fiddle about with getting in and out.  :wub:
俺、野菜畑大好き!!

ravenaround

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 17:33 »
Yes them birds are much smarter than people give them credit for.

I will be netting my brassicas tomorrow as long as we don't get heavy rain.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 21:58 »
Netting is the real answer but strings with CDs swinging or build a scarecrow. Scarecrows need not be elaborate. Just an old jacket/shirt/dress on a cross of wood to keep the arms up and make it life-like. Move it, or them, about every few days to keep them effective. Keep in mind that the name of the game is not to frighten the birds out of the county but simply to make your plot less attractive than your neighbours.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 23:35 »
I was in Homebase today and I saw a spray bottle of something called CataPult which apparently repels pigeons as well as cats (at least there was a picture of a pigeon on the bottle).  Does anyone know if it actually works on pigeons?  I think it contains aluminium ammonium sulphate or some such.  Nets are probably better value for money, and I'm a bit dubious about putting random chemicals on my crops.

Carol

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44 »
Don't know about pigeons, but Catapult definitely didn't keep the local cats of my flowerbeds.  >:(
Carol - aiming for organicness.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:18 »
To keep the birds at bay, I hang old c.d's from hooped cains, that seems to work.
  As for employing Wuzzel Gummidge, I think Aunt Sally might have somthing to say about that.  ;)
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:50 »
I was in Homebase today and I saw a spray bottle of something called CataPult which apparently repels pigeons as well as cats (at least there was a picture of a pigeon on the bottle).  Does anyone know if it actually works on pigeons?  I think it contains aluminium ammonium sulphate or some such.  Nets are probably better value for money, and I'm a bit dubious about putting random chemicals on my crops.

I work for Homebase I have never seen CataPult what store was it or were you mistaken?

I have also been on the Homebase website and it isn't on there!

I shall check when I am in store tomorrow!

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 13:18 »

...I've read about using netting but I have planted alot of brassicas over a wide area and I'm not sure its cost effective.

Also if I start protecting these hobbled brassicas now will they recover or do i need to replant?

Thanks.

I questioned the validity of netting vast swathes of land to cover a few quids worth of brassicas.  Decent quality netting is not cheap but I guess it lasts for a few years and then I roll it up put it in the shed and use it again the next year so it becomes cheaper the next year and so on.

My netting is about 1.5 cm square holes.  It is very flat and quite stiff and lays nicely over the plants.  I weigh it down with house bricks and clip it with clothes pegs on canes to keep it in the air.

Get it on as early as possible and the birds will shy away, and the cabbage white will not lay its grubby little eggs all over your cabbages.   The netting does save a lot of work in the long run.  Sadly it doesn't stop weeds so I have to roll it up to weed the ground.

Cabbages do recover this time of year as they have lots of growing to do but it depends on the damage inflicted by the pest.  If you have spares and you are not sure about a bird damaged plant then replace it now to give the new plant the best chance. 

Having said that, last year we had to dig up some bird damaged cabbage.  We planted some replacement cabbages (this time under a net) and we had a nicely staggered brassica harvest.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

ravenaround

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 13:40 »
Thanks again for the replies.

It does seem the only way of protecting the veg is to net it. So that's what I'll do.

Strange though only one other plot on my allotment protects its brassicas with protection I have no idea how they get away with it because I certainly haven't.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25 »

I work for Homebase I have never seen CataPult what store was it or were you mistaken?

I have also been on the Homebase website and it isn't on there!

I shall check when I am in store tomorrow!

I apologise for saying that Homebase doesn't sell Catapult, They do!
I didn't see it until I looked for it :blush:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:27 by Beejay »

xx
Composting brassica leaves

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:11
by Hey Jude
xx
Brassica help please

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 16:56
by fatcat1955
xx
PH for Brassica bed

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 00:20
by Lenny59
xx
Brassica help please

Started by Starling on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 22:02
by Starling

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.