old bath: use on allotment?

• 28 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: old bath: use on allotment?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27 »
Hurrah - great thread and my friend-with-chickens is just ripping her bathroom out for something new. Hopefully it's a bath I can lift as she's just a short walk from the site - I foresee some skip-diving later this afternoon.  :)

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24 »
I use a bath to grow mint

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 10:37 »
I have a cast iron bath in the garden at home and at present it's catching rainwater but I have a plan to give it centre stage in the veg area. I'm going to repaint it in a bright colour and grow leaves in it. I think it's too good to be a water butt and I can replace it for that purpose with a plastic butt  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 11:30 »
You could harvest rainwater into it for a start  :nowink:

We have a rather fetching corner bath in our plot and we use it for water. Makes an excellent spot to wash out pots, trays etc, and when it get too dirty we bale out the water with a can (straight into the greenhouse borders), tip out the remaining few inches and start again.

Makes a great temporary home for a whole range of water beetles and pondskaters in the summer too  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 19:17 »
If you do make it into a pond, make sure that you enable small animals etc to get out of it - you'll need a series of steps to allow them to climb out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 20:01 »
Ours is not a sunken bath and so the chance of small animals (except invertebrate sorts of course) are pretty miniscule. Plus we have some bamboos propped at an angle so that beetles that cannot gain enough purchase  to get away and fly

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 21:31 »
My soil is very clayey so I've goen for a raised pond with a hibernaculum underneath. I'm filling in the sides with hard core, which will be gentle sloping when complete, and logs at the tap end. within the hardcore there are a couple of lengths of sewerage  pipe too. This in an ongoing project which I hope to complete over the winter. Smaller stones will top the larger ones then soil. Over hanging plants and steps inside for easy access and escape.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 07:33 »
madam cholet your pond sounds very top of the range :) is a hibernaculum a hibernating area? can you post a photo when completed?

i do like the sound of that, last year my toads were under fence panels, and when i lifted the panels up to peek at them at least a dozen would try to scramble away.  when we couldnt see them under the panels, we used the panels in the stove, and have dug over that area now.  now i dont know where they have gone, tho there are lots of places to hide on our site.

i shall have to get another bath for carrots ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 08:56 »
These posts go to show that there is life for an old bath and that we have them and know how to use them. Breaking them up and taking them to the tip is not an option for most of us with ideas on how to re-use them.  More power to our elbow.  Re-using tackle and saving water or providing ourselves with a free pond or large container for growing stuff is what it's all about  :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59 »
I use a bath to grow mint

Wow, you must really like mint!  :D
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:12 »
madam cholet your pond sounds very top of the range :) is a hibernaculum a hibernating area? can you post a photo when completed?

i do like the sound of that, last year my toads were under fence panels, and when i lifted the panels up to peek at them at least a dozen would try to scramble away.  when we couldnt see them under the panels, we used the panels in the stove, and have dug over that area now.  now i dont know where they have gone, tho there are lots of places to hide on our site.

i shall have to get another bath for carrots ::)

I attended a wildlife gardening course in the spring where the lady introduced me to hibernaculums. She suggested a trench overfilled to a hump, so I've adapted the idea. Start with large stones and pipes covered with smaller stones and soil, they suggested one side for a dust bath and one side planted.
I'm only halfway there, will spend some time collecting limestone from the farmer's field in the winter and finish it off for the spring.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40 »
We have a bath on each plot, and one of them has a few handfuls of manure chucked in. We also add a little comfrey and nettles, and let it fill with rainwater.

All we have to do is dip a can for a quick splurge on anything that needs it, and 'bob's your auntie'!

chillimummy

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34 »
when my plot was overgrown then saw lots of frogs. now clearer then not as many.
have old shower basin so might take that to plot and try and make shallow pond. bath sounds great idea for growing.allotments in next village are full of baths and most people seem grow carrots in them 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 13:44 »
Pretty sure if I added a bathtub to my plot I would be politely told to shift it.

xx
Bath on our allotment

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 15:41
by Trillium
xx
TIN BATH

Started by diggin@diggle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 06:31
by Gwiz
xx
Carrots in a bath

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 14:29
by Trillium
xx
Old bath tubs - what can I use them for?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 14:41
by rufty

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.