silkie chick

• 4 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
silkie chick
« on: September 13, 2012, 18:14 »
hi i have a young silkie he was born on the 9th of june and i put him out with my 6 other hens about 3 weeks ago and all has been going well with a slight bit of bullying and he seems to get on better with my light sussex my buff orpington and 1 of my other hens any way i went out for a couple of hours today and when i came  home i found my silkie hiding under a log in the coop and his head is bleeding and it looks like which ever 1 did it has had a go at his left eye aswell is there anything i can put on it i.e anticeptic cream?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: silkie chick
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 20:38 »
You could try putting a little bit of cornflour on a cottonbud and applying that.  I have used it on cuts on both quail and chickens if you don't have any wound powder.  I think it was joyfull that posted about using it.  Purple spray can be applied the same way if you have any.

Hope he recovers soon.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 21:53 »
I find a cup of boiling water left to cool until warm with a little salt added helps keep any wound free from infection, which I use on both humans and animals.

For the eye however I have been recommended strong black tea made with boiling water and left until its cold, which can then be used to flush out the eye.
For application, its worth keeping a couple of syringes (Pets at home stock them) in your hens first aid box, which can be cleaned for re-use.

In the past I once purchased "Golden eye" eye drops over the counter under the pretence that I had an eye infection coming on. £4.80 well spent as they worked really well (applied morning and night) on my 8 week old chick that had her eye almost closed with inflammation. However they are not cleared for use on livestock so its a case of use at your own risk.

Hope this may be of use.   

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:57 »
I agree re the salt water and use purple spray to hide the redness (will also keep the flies away) so that the others do not peck because it is red. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 13:04 »
thanks very much for all your help and the good news is he survived the night and seems to me doing well and he is eating and drinking

xx
Silkie chick not perching

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 12:35
by Brambles
xx
silkie chick died :(

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 09:24
by ANHBUC
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 38 queries.