Goji Berry Plant

• 9 Replies

monsoon

Goji Berry Plant
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:56 »
I kind of forgot the dead looking twig given to me by a family friend, it just got put it in a tub and left it in the greenhouse.  :unsure:

Yesterday i cleared out the greenhouse ready for our chillies and sweet peppers and found this.....

Its gone a little mad, any tips for growing these?

monsoon

Re: Goji Berry Plant
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 14:19 »
can anyone help me?

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 14:41 »
Hi
Just found this posted on here by Hightide in March. Sorry, didn'y know how to link back to the post so have copied and pasted. I think you'll find everything you could possibly want to know about them.

I've planted one this spring too. Can't wait to see what happens to it  :D

GERMINATING, GROWING & PLANTING INSTRUCTIONS

SITE SELECTION
Choose a sunny location, where your Goji Plant will not receive too much shade from building structures, fences, trees, etc. Goji Berries prefer full sun. If you live in a place where summer temperatures get very hot,you might need to give your plant some summer shade if it starts to look stressed, but for the most part, plant your Goji where you would plant any other sun loving garden vegetable or fruit. Remember that the Goji will grow into a large bush about 2.5Metres tall and 2Metres wide if left un-pruned, so plan accordingly.
The Goji will grow in almost any type of soil, from sandy to heavy clay, but it prefers a well drained soil of moderate quality. An average PH of 7.0 is best. DO NOT plant the Goji where it will receive too much water, or where the soil is constantly wet or soggy. They will not grow well.

PLANTING DORMANT & BARE-ROOT PLANTS
If your soil is not workable when you receive your Goji plant, you may plant it in a large pot till planting time. After choosing the appropriate site for your Goji, plant at least  1.5 metres apart. Dig a hole 40 - 60cm deep, build a small mound of dirt in the bottom of this hole so that when you place the plant into the hole, the roots can be spread out over the sides of this dirt mound. This will allow the roots to be spread when the hole is filled and firm the soil around the base. You do not need to add any mulch or fertilizer at this time. Water your Goji Plant immediately after you have finished planting. Use about 8 Litres of water to completely saturate the newly dug ground. This will ensure that the soil is compacted and will get rid of any air pockets.

PLANTING SEEDLINGS
Upon arrival transplant your Goji seedling to at least a 2 Litre container and let them grow, transplant into their final position next Spring. Let them go dormant, the Goji is very hardy provide protection for them from animals, such as ruminants, that love to eat them.

GROWING
Goji plant should begin to sprout leaves when the weather warms up. Remember your year old Goji plant(s) have been shipped to you dormant, and will be much larger as soon as they leaf out. Goji plants are very fast growing once they are established. They need to be well watered for the first 2 months. This is a general rule and will of course depend on your climate. After your Goji has grown an additional 18 inches from when you received it, cut off the tip of the main shoot growing upward. This will force the branch to sprout new side branches. This is where the Goji Flowers and Berries will be produced on. The side branches can also be pruned and kept to a manageable length of about 60cm.

PRUNING
There are two different thoughts of how to prune and maintain Goji plants. The first is to allow the Goji plant to grow as it normally would, into a large bush, but at the same time pruning it back annually to encourage more flowers and fruit. The Goji plant does much better if it is heavily pruned at least once a year.
The second growing method, and one which many commercial growers in Central Asia use, is to prune them into a small tree. The plant is limited to one trunk that is tied to a stake and grown straight up with fruiting branches growing out to the side. These branches are kept about 60 cm feet long. The bottom 60 – 90cm of the base of the Goji tree is continually stripped of its new growth. The new shoots coming up from the ground are eliminated. This method allows for easy picking or shaking of the fruit from the Goji plant but requires much more pruning and is very time consuming.

FERTILIZING
You don’t need to fertilize your Goji plant, but it will grow much faster and produce more berries if you do. Fertilizing does need to be done correctly however. This is important, if you feed in the spring with a high nitrogen fertilizer, your Goji plant will grow very fast, but probably won’t have any flowers or berries in the autumn. On the other hand if you don’t fertilize with nitrogen, your plant will not grow nearly as fast, but will produce some flowers and berries. The trick is to use a fast acting nitrogen fertilizer early in the spring so that you can get some good growth, but have very little nitrogen left in the soil during the summer months.
In mid summer, your Goji plant will benefit from a fertilizer containing no nitrogen, but one that does contain a good source of available phosphorus. This will promote buds, flowers, and berries. You can continue using this fertilizer right on through the fruiting season which is usually into late autumn. Goji berries are not produced all at once, but are produced over an extended period of time, usually August through November or till a hard frost or freeze causes them to go dormant.

Just remember the original home of the Goji is the Himalayas, so if you want your Gojis to be as mineral & vitamin rich as they are in their homeland, you will need to provide them with like organic, mineral rich soil in which to grow.

FINAL TIPS
The Goji is an easily grown plant. It will grow and succeed in most soils (light/sandy,
medium/loam and heavy-clay), flowering and fruiting better in well drained soil of moderate quality and requires a dappled shade to sunny position.  It is a sun lover. The Goji Plant has an extensive root system and can be used to stabilize banks.
Do not touch the green berries with your hands or they will oxidise and turn black.
The Goji will not grow in soggy wet soil, it will die. So if you have heavy wet
soil and or soil that does not have good drainage, you can prepare a raised bed in
which to grow your Gojis.
Prune the Goji tree for an ideal height of around 1.5 - 2m, remove any branches above this height.
Keep some clearance between canopy and ground of around 35 cm.
Identify some ineffective branches; they usually grow very fast in the growing season, very straight about 45 degrees and smooth, remove them if they don’t
contribute to your ideal canopy structure.
Deer, goats, rabbits, chickens, birds, horses love Goji leaves & berries, you may need to find a way to protect your Gojis, especially when they are young and are not well established

HARVESTING
In early summer the Goji will begin to bloom. The small white & purple flowers are very delicate and pretty. The flowers do not really have a fragrance, but the bees seem to enjoy them. If you do not have enough pollinating bees & etc. in your area, a beehive would help your berry production. If you have only a few Goji Plants you may hand pollinate your Gojis. This can be done very easily by simply breaking off a stem from your Goji plant that has a group of flowers on it. Take these flowers and brush them against the other flowers on your Goji plant, makin sure some of the pollen transfers between the two groups of flowers.
A 6 year old goji plant should yield about 4 Litres of fresh berries a season.
The Goji produces berries from late summer till a hard frost or freeze. Harvesting is done by picking the Goji Berries by hand, or placing mats on the ground and shaking the branches until the ripe fruit drops off on to the mats, but we have found that this last method does not work as well as hand picking.  Fresh Goji Berries are very juicy and mildly sweet. They can be eaten fresh, dried in the shade, frozen for later use, or juiced for a wonderful tasting drink, or used as any other berry. But my favourite way is to enjoy the Goji Berry fresh right off the vine. Goji Berries will keep in the refrigerator for 2 -3 weeks without any sign of spoiling.

iggyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 16:53 »
to carrotcake, thanks for sending your infomation on GojiBerries to Monsoon. I know it was not meant for me,but I read it and found it most informative as I own to young Goji plants myself and had no idea what to do with them. Thanks again :nowink:
...the night was dark...they usually are!

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 18:14 »
It's a pleasure, although I think Hightide should get the thanks  :D

Have you got flowers yet? Mine has settled in well but no sign of flowers yet.

iggyboy

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37 »
No flowers yet,but like yours mine seems to be settlling in really well. I wiil inform of any further developments. Cheers again to you and Hightide!  :D

Tiffin

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 15:32 »
I got a Goji bush almost 2 years ago.  It is in a 40 cm square pot and has grown 2m tall with branches coming down to the ground.  It is well-watered and given high potash (Phostrogen) food regularly.  It looks healthy and has been covered in flowers for almost two months but no fruit has set.
Has anyone any ideas on what is wrong?
Ian Tiffin.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 17:43 »
Ian, I have a sneaking suspicion someone asked about a Gojiberry on Gardeners' Question Time this Sunday just gone (8th Aug).  You can probably catch it on i-Player but if I'm right then they said that these bushes can take some time to mature sufficiently, so patience is called for  :)

Of course, my memory could well be failing ...  :wacko:

Or it's some other solution entirely too !!

P.S. Welcome to the site, do pop into the Welcome forum to say hi properly  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 18:57 »
They can take two or three years before flowering I think -- read the long info post above as well  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 19:16 »
I was begining to dispair of my twigs.  No flowers etc.  Will keep them a lot longer yet then before giving up on them. 

question
Goji Berry

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 22:28
by hightide
xx
Goji Berry?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 19:25
by mikem
xx
Goji Berry

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 16:00
by stelios
xx
Pruning Goji Berry

Started by Andy Pandy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 13:07
by TerryB

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.