Berry Selection: When To Plant.

• 7 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Berry Selection: When To Plant.
« on: July 27, 2013, 15:54 »
Following a tasting session with a fellow plot holder I have just purchased a selection of berries consisting of Raspberry 'Autumn Bliss', 'Tadmor' and 'All Gold', Blackberry 'Reuben', Tayberry 'Buckingham' and a thornless Loganberry.

I plan to grow them along the boundary fence, can I plant them in position now or do I have to wait for the spring? If I have to wait for the spring what do I do with them in the mean time?

Any other growing advise always welcome.

LilacSandy

Re: Berry Selection: When To Plant.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 16:18 »
I presume they are pot grown if you have purchased them at this time of the year, and as such you can plant them out at any time, just keep well watered.

If you are growing them along a boundary fence you need to be aware that the raspberries in particular will spread along and outwards so if you have a neighbour you need to make sure that they are happy to have them spread.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 16:28 »
If your planting pot grown plants ,planting now would be a good option as they will have time to develop a good root system ! Don't expect too much in the first year though  :)
I cook therefore I grow

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 18:27 »
Thank you  :)

They are pot grown plants.

The fence is at the front of the plot and makes the boundary between my plot and the road, I set the fence about 1.5ft back from the front to give the manure trailer plenty of room to get by. I will plant 2ft to 3ft away from the neighbours plot to allow for the spread.

Do you think I would be better off putting the Raspberries somewhere else and just going with the Blackberries, Loganberries and Tayberries along the fence?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 20:29 »
Although you can plant them now, to be honest I'd wait until we've had a decent amount of rain because putting them into such dry soil will make it so much harder for them to be kept watered and to establish happily.  It's easier to keep them watered in the pots at home.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:38 »
How hard are the berries to keep in check, I am planting them up against the fence and I want to be able to keep them under control and not have them spread everywhere.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33 »
It's pouring down with rain here today so that would be a good time  :)  Blackberries take up a lot of space so make sure you give them enough room

Mine have taken ages to start fruiting properly, and last year I threatened it with being chucked on the bonfire if it didn't start fruiting.  It produced tonnes of fruit and I'm hoping for another good year. Mind you last year was very wet and it seemed to suit the soft fruit.  I feed mine with manure each year when they start showing signs of fruit

Good luck with yours  :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 17:59 »
How hard are the berries to keep in check, I am planting them up against the fence and I want to be able to keep them under control and not have them spread everywhere.

If you're planting raspberries, you can stick in pieces of metal sheeting about 6-8" deep along the fence line since raspberries are shallow rooted. This usually keeps them in check. Blackberries don't root spread so much but the long canes will bend over and root everywhere they touch so you'll either need to keep the canes short to about 3-4 ft tall or tie them to any fencing

xx
Name the berry/plant

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 15:25
by RJR_38
xx
Goji Berry Plant

Started by monsoon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 19:16
by birmancats
xx
Pegging Down runners from S/Berry Plant

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 21:35
by allotmentvegigirl
xx
Basil selection.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 14:17
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 36 queries.