Help! perch positioning and height???

• 4 Replies

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« on: August 25, 2007, 13:23 »
Hi folks well here I am at the point of adding the perches and I need a bit of advice please here is the pic of the inside of the chick house
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=668

I just need to know how to set out the perches.

The house is 4ft wide and the hole in the back is the exit.  Hole in side is to the egg box.

Will be for 4 to 6 chickens, thanks
Andrea
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 16:38 »
Hi Andrea,

I hate answering a question with a 'it depends', but have to in this case.

It depends on the size of your chickens.  They have to be able to jump/flap up onto them and stand upright.  From what I've seen ours always stand upright before settling down into their perching position.  Also if they're big 'uns (Ross Cobbs, for example) they'll take up far more horizontal space than, say, an ISA Brown.

The run that I've just completed for our ISA Brown has perches at heights of about 30 and 50 cms, offset by approx 50 cms.  They use both perches.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 19:24 »
The chickens are going to be bovan goldlines and amberlincs (white about same size as goldlines)

I have no idea how high to put these perches at all I have been trying to puzzle it out all day.

Also is there a perfect width or shape of perch? should the edges be shampered off?

The coop is about 3ft high at the back so i wonder if I should be providing a high perch or not or if it will be bad for them having to jump down, I seem to remember its bad for their feet if too high

still pretty confused as yet..'looking at bits of wood and scratching head'

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 20:07 »
I made my perches from lengths of 8 cm square timber, with the top two edges chamfered off, based on something I read in a Chicken House Plans book.  I wouldn't recommend the book, though, for plans as in several places the measurements didn't add up and the designs are pretty insubstantial.

So what would be the adult weight of a bovan goldline?  If you provide a high perch and a lower one, I think they'll use the lower one as a stepping stone.

I'd suggest just going with your gut feel and keep an eye on them.  If they don't use the perch, try moving it.  What's the worst that will happen?  A few days with fewer eggs..?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 23:03 »
Hiya chickychick if I may make a suggestion, place your perch Just above pop hole height, as your coop don't seem that high, I'm guessing that will make it about 14"-18" off the ground ? high enough for them easily to get up but not to high, My warrens perch was 3' high, with a ladder running up to it, but they could jump up to it if they wanted to. I'm waiting for 4 goldline myself I think they are a bigger bird than a warren though so I might have to adjust the height of the perch. Incidentally my perch is about 2 1/2" wide 3" deep top edges rounded off.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Perch height

Started by Robert_S on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 14:30
by kegs
xx
minimum perch head height

Started by slurp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 20:18
by slurp
question
Positioning of new hen house

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 12:18
by Lindeggs
xx
positioning a hen house

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 23:12
by threeranger

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 35 queries.