Why do people get ex-bats?

• 23 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
Quote from: "ck2day"

As for what to do when they stop laying, as I have 18 of them I couldn't tell you what we will do with them as we can't say which one lays and which one doesn't.  However, I am happy to let them wander around happily scratching and being a chicken for the rest of their days. (Would honestly say we have a few now that don't lay as we get on average 12-13 eggs a day from our 23 in total).  They don't cost much to feed so I don't let it worry me.  Bit like what do you do with your dog once it stops being a reliable guard dog, or your cat once it stops catching mice? Do you get rid of it and get a newer more efficient model ??

Claire

wasn't trying to say people shouldn't take ex batts just that they should go into it with their eyes wide open. For me chickens aren't pets they are, i suppose, more like a vegetable crop. I would not want to keep a dozen hens if they were giving nothing back in return. However if you think of them as pets then that is completely different as your return is just enjoying their company. If you have a lot of space and they free range then feed is probably less of an issue, but in a relatively small run you will have to provide virtually all of  their food. I must admit that i am beginning to notice the feed at £6.20 for 20 kgs. Hope this doesn't make me sound too heartless.

regards

Apologies if I made you sound heartless it wasnt intended.  I also cringe when I buy the hens food!  I initially got them for the eggs and from a soft hearted point of view, now I have them I couldn't bear the thought of "despatching" them when they stop laying. As said before I don't know who lays and who doesn't.  I refuse though to take them to the vet if they are ill. Thankfully have not had an ill chicken that has needed the vet. Have had one or two that have gone down hill fairly quickly and bearing in mind the life they previously led and the problems that it may have caused, my OH has sent them to chicken heaven.  
With regards to feed I manage to cover most of the cost by selling the eggs and am lucky to have a local farmer who will sell me bags of corn for £3!
They aren't pets but neither are they a money making concern, I just have them cos I like having my Ronnies (they are all called Ronnie, short for Veronica :roll: ) about and find they can always be relied upon to put a smile on my face if i'm feeling grumpy  :shock:

Claire

niccid

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 22:39 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
I'm not too fussed about their egg laying...it's nice, don't get me wrong, but for me ex-batts are more about doing the right thing (rescuing an abused animal) than it is about the eggs - small cost of a bit of food for the feeling of doing at least one good thing....worth it for me, eggs or not

:D

I don't have my chooks yet (still getting everything ready), but we will be rescuing ex-bats. I agree with what Mickwood said, it's about doing the right thing, I am passionate about not buying battery eggs or products which might contain them (shopping take hours, due to label checking) and what better thing for me to do for these poor abused creatures, than give them a proper chicken life. Running free, and being properly cared for. I know I sound sentimental, but thats becuase I am. Our girls will be pets and NOT egg machines, like they were for the first year of their lives. If they never produce an egg, I really couldn't care less. If they do, it's just a bonus.
If you don't buy free-range, CLUCK OFF

Foxy

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 22:45 »
Good for you! love your signature! :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 22:47 »
:salut:

Fat Hen

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 00:32 »
I have 2 (started with 3 but one got cancer), and 2 fancy breeds, they're wonderful pets for my 2 young girls (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it), the eggs are a bonus.

They have great cheaky characters (and if they don't stop eating my chilli plants i've told them they'll end up on bbq as piri piri chicken).

They always welcome me home from work with great fuss (just like a labrador, well almost, not seen a labrador cluck), and follow me around the garden, try to nick leaves off my chilli plants when I open greenhouse door to go in.  

Certainly cheaper to feed than my GS dog (< £10/month as opposed to > £30/ month).

Good mousers too.

too many girls

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 01:03 »
niccid, here here..............

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55 »
my husband came in beaming yesterday, which is unheard of, saying that the chickens were doing a great job of weeding the lawn

Result  8)

Foxy

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 08:57 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
my husband came in beaming yesterday, which is unheard of, saying that the chickens were doing a great job of weeding the lawn

Result  8)

didn't know that grass was a weed!! :lol:  :lol:

lindamary

my ex batts
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 20:03 »
I wanted chickens because I liked the idea of these peaceful creatures rosey around. I was researching them and came across a feature about ex batts and decided to get some (I also have a rescued greyhound). I now adore my 3 girls and when I get an occasional egg it's something to celebrate, I don't care if they never lay another egg, I just love watching them wondering around the garden in the sun feeling the wind in their feathers and soil under them, and they come running when I appear. So I suppose for me they are definately pets and I'd get more at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately thats not likely to be for a while as I was asked to take some bantums on that needed rehoming, they are all young and all animals seem to live a long life in my home! I find I kind of resent the bantums because I feel they do not need the huge amount of love and care that my ex batts need.
I get more from it then the hens -  I'm sure!
Lindamary

xx
Ex-bats

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 11:33
by WoodyK
xx
ex bats

Started by kfoxey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 15:39
by cejx
xx
Where to get ex-bats

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 09:57
by chasechicken
xx
ex-bats

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:36
by nicchick

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 31 queries.