Horrid eye

• 5 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Horrid eye
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:50 »
My 7 weeks old Aracana has a yucky eye, been googling (as ya do) and now worried it;s not just a yucky eye - r what do yo think?  On another post about eyes Neosporin ointment has been suggested.  Could I try salt water while i wait for it to arrive (if so what strength).  Or does she just need despatching?
Thanks in advance

Sorry I forgot pics
as you can see her other eye is fine and she is still eating
P1060066.JPG
P1060063.JPG
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 13:03 by cammi »
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Prod

Re: Horrid eye
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 15:21 »
I have treated eyes worse than that (see post re Antiseptic cream in eye!!!)  Salt water is good either on a cotton pad or ear bud. Be very gentle and try to clear out any gunk. I have read that Neosporin is good for animal eyes (the USA sites swear by it)  but I have not used it yet.  If you have a friendly vet (like mine) they may provide you with an antibiotic injection without having to take her in (saves on small animal examination fee) if you explain it is a chicken etc.  Depends on your vet, I am lucky as ours is mainly agricultural.  I wouldn't rush to dispatch her just yet......

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15 »
Definitely use salt water - sorry not sure on the mix I do what I think. I would advise not making the solution too strong but that is not much help! You can use cotton buds or cotton wool to apply. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38 »
a trip to the vets may be needed to see if she needs antibiotics.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43 »
Thanks folks.  Its alot bigger today started giving in a salt bath.  That ointment should arrive tomorrow.  Not sure how our vets is with chickens, never needed to go before.  Exeter vets in bourne - anyone any experience.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 13:25 »
There is a list of poultry friendly vets on HERE and another one HERE
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Horrid People!!!

Started by slowef on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 14:04
by WG.

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 33 queries.