Moving ducks

• 8 Replies

knoxxie

Moving ducks
« on: September 28, 2010, 16:00 »
I am moving house and wondering what to do with 3 much loved ducks (2 call ducks and 1 peking duck). My current house has a large lake with island as well as smaller pond nearby. Where I am moving to does not currently have a water feature but would consider putting one in, although concerned that it is very rural and what may happen with local fox population. I am looking for anyone who has advice on moving ducks.

orchardlady

Re: Moving ducks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 23:50 »
Hello. I'm very new to duck keeping, however you could as a temporary measure purchase some flexible poultry wire and peg them out a good sized area. I use a child's plastic sandpit/paddling pool (Argos). It's not aesthetically attractive but certainly serves the purpose. They love to splash and preen in the clean water I put in each and every day. Of course I can't really comment on the Fox problem but I do herd the ducks to bed each night at dusk. I hope your ducks have a safe and easy move. :)

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19 »
Hi knoxxie
I would make a smallish 3 sided pen alongside the door to their house (I use strips of weldmesh, fruit netting cover), and keep them in for about a week, if you let them wander too soon you would have to start again, as long as the water is deep enough for them to keep their eyes clean they don't need a pond, a washing up bowl would do for a short while, though obviously it is nicer all round to see them swimming and happy. I'm sure you already know clever little call ducks will soon learn where home is :), don't know about the pekin - it must look a giant up to calls :ohmy:
I worry constantly about foxes, almost get in panic if I'm not home for dusk, lost half of them to mink this year, makes a change from stoats and weasels! It may be worth asking your new neighbours what the fox situation is? I always fasten everything in at nights, not worth risking leaving them with access to a run.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51 »
Hi,

The ducks should be fine with the move providing they have water to splash and preen in (the sandpits suggested do work very well while something more aesthetically pleasing is sorted) and protection from predators at night.

I think that whereever you go, rural or urban, you need to consider foxes and threat and take suitable steps to protect them. I live in an urban setting and had never seen a fox in 8 years but still lost 2 ducks to one so don't rely on others, just assume they are there.

It is the time of year for fox attacks so be vigilent whereever you are.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

knoxxie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 21:14 »
Thank you very much for all the advice. :) It seems that at least for the short term a small amount of water will suffice but I do need to create some form of run and provide a house for them at night. Currently they explore over a huge area of the garden and have a large area of water which they spend most of the day having fun on, retiring to the island in the evening not being locked into a duck house. My wife is very concerned that the sudden change of circumstances will result in very depressed ducks. :(

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 22:10 »
This is the house I use for my six ducks. 3 white Aylesbury's and 3 Kaki Campbell's. It's from Forsham Cottage Arks. They will deliver and erect free of charge. They also make lots of other options. They are well made and will last well. I put mine up on two bricks at each corner and they have a little step to get up. They are cosy and safe at night. They seem perfectly happy to dip their heads down to get into the pop hole. The perches and nest box sections just lift out.

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/ControlFiles/Graphics/Products/Bedgebury/802/B802-090508.jpg

knoxxie

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57 »
Thank for the picture and link - looks a very good design. Does anyone know If ducks have never before slept in a house how easy is it to persuade them to go in at night? Is it purely a case of using food as a bribe?

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 20:15 »
What I do is have two pieces of stiff free-standing wire about 6 foot each either side of the door in a funell, so I can herd them towards the house and they then have no option but to go in the house or have a cuddle with me...the house wins evry time. :lol:

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 20:20 »
What I do is have two pieces of stiff free-standing wire about 6 foot each either side of the door in a funell, so I can herd them towards the house and they then have no option but to go in the house or have a cuddle with me...the house wins evry time. :lol:

xx
Egg moving

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 16:57
by Tigerwren
xx
Egg moving update

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 16:02
by ANHBUC
xx
the hens are moving in

Started by vegypete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 12:31
by nerdle
xx
Moving hens to new location help

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 11:25
by grinling

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 39 queries.