Cats in trouble

• 27 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Cats in trouble
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:14 »
Please can anyone give me some advise I'm at my wits end. I have five cats and love each and everyone of them. Last night my daughter came home from a night out and told me our neighbours were in the pub drinking and started telling her they've got plans to poison our cats for going in their garden messing. Apparently she tried moth balls but never worked now she has resorted to neat bleach and said to my daughter one will be poisoned soon it was licking it. I put two and two together,week before last,as two of my cats were ill with runny noses and wheezing one one week the other the next. Would bleach harm them. These neighbours talk to us normally and never fell out. Trouble is if she can do that what else will she try. My Tom cat is always coming home with meat from rubbish bags I'm so worried what can I do without falling out. Apparently she told my daughter not to say nothing to me but we are very close and she did any advise please and will bleach actually harm them? She's find this very amusing and laughing about it I don't find it very funny I'm worried

LilacSandy

Re: Cats in trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25 »
Oh dear Frizzle, what a horrible neighbour.  We had two of our beautiful cats poisoned a few years ago, luckily our Rosie was a home cat and did not stray too far from our garden. It was extremely distressing as Rosie's brother made it home to the back door before he died and the mother was in the next garden.

Can you not talk to your neighbour for the sake of the cats and just ask her if there is a problem with cats in her garden? you do not need to be confrontational, just say someone overheard her saying she had a problem and you would like to help.  Cats have very sensitive noses and would not lick anything covered in bleach but she may try something like rat poison next.

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:33 »
I also had a problem a few years ago with a cat that was poisoned, unfortunately I was on a night shift and didn't realise until the next day.
I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid, except to say are you sure she was being serious?

I don't understand why people don't just throw water over a cat that they don't like - it will work after a few tries.

Hope all works out well for you.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:54 »
If they are really doing this then I would report them this is pure cruelty.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:04 »
This RSPCA website says it is indeed illegal to poison cats, maybe you could give them a call to ask for advice.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/faq/-/question/ENQCADDeterCatFromGarden

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12 »
Thank you all for your replies so far. I definately don't think she is bragging because about a year ago she was spreading news around the pub about my dog was messing in her garden she knew it was him apparently as we had a Newfoundland and the mess it done was from a large dog. But our Newfie was actually dying at the time with severe heart condition and was never allowed to go out on vets orders but they instantly accused him as he's big, sadly he died in June.As for approaching her and asking if the cats are being a nuisance if she says yes there's nothing I can do to stop them, they are naturally roamers anyway. Looked at the website given thanks but still lost with what to do.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:21 »
still report them either to the RSPCA or the police. If it is a rented property then report to their landlords whether they are private or council. What they are doing is a crime and you have to think of your animals (plus any other animal in the area). I do know this will make things awkward for you living so close to them but they are simply being bullies and need dealing with  :(

grinling

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37 »
 I hope I don't offend, but I had neighbours with 8 cats which would use my garden as their toilet. My 2 children were very small then and I did not like the smell of the poo or that I had to pick it up and dispose of it. Cat owners are responsible for picking up the mess the same as dog owners are.
I threw the cat's poo back into my neighbours garden and with the help of a water pistol encouraged the cats away. Neighbour moved away taking most of the cats with her.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40 »
yes water pistols are fine but putting down poison or bleach isn't and neither is using mothballs as they do poison cats  :(.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49 »
I would agree with that, so possibly she should buy her neighbours a water pistol.

grendel

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 12:50 »
we have 8 cats, and they are indoor cats so dont bother the neighbors, they range in age from the latest rescue 3 months old to our old 20 year old, who is happy on my lap as I type.
It could just be that they said that in front of your daughter so she would tell you and so you would then stop them going there, maybe you could buy them some of the cat repulsive pepper stuff for them to use to keep your cats out of their garden, this shows them you are actively trying to help them deter your cats safely.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 12:51 »
jif lemons are good too, one squirt will deter them for a while.
Grendel

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 18:00 »
Thanks for all the replies, yes I feel that this lady should be reported trouble is I've got no proof. As for the reply from grinling I don't actually agree, cat owners I think are different from dog owners they cannot possibly clean up after them everywhere they roam as some cats can wander far away and be gone sometimes a week or more. You can't possibly follow them with a bucket and spade just to clean up after them. Also cats are clean by nature and it's unlikely that they leave it uncovered to smell anyway. When my cats do mess in my garden, I can't say I smell it and only uncovering it when digging and by then it's generally dry anyway. Thinking of also buying some lemons, and knocking on her door with them.I think picking it up and throwing it over the fence is disgusting,quicker to put it in a bag and done with, plus it does not always have to come from the direct neighbours it could be anyone's cat.

evie2

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 19:48 »
If you get on with her why not just talk to her.  Say you didn't realise there was a problem and wished she'd said something before.  If she knows you know what she said, whether she was kidding or not, she'll realise if anything happens to the cats she'll be the first person suspected.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 19:50 »
I don't see a problem with speaking to the RSPCA informally, asking whether they would be prepared to have an informal word with the people concerned.  A warning may nip it in the bud.

But this will probably lead to a falling out so consider the consequences for you and your daughter first.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Why we are having trouble finishing the jigsaw.

Started by DD. on Pets without Feathers

23 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 09:43
by plum crumble
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.