When to fill the grow bags with compost?

• 6 Replies

Diggit

When to fill the grow bags with compost?
« on: January 18, 2011, 21:08 »
Maybe a silly question, but is there any advantage in buying the compost (shop bought) early and filling the bags in position ready for when it's time to plant the veg and potatoes? Or should I just wait until I'm ready to plant. Does it need time to settle or is keeping it in the bag better as it's less likely to be affected by a late frost?

Just thinking generally and wondered if anyone had an opinion either way.

Thanks
Paul

Nikkithefoot

Re: When to fill the grow bags with compost?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 21:13 »
My concerns at filling bags or pots with compost and leaving them would be all the nutrients would wash out before you got any plants in there from rainfall, and they could dry out making it harder to wet when you plant. Keep your compost in their bags until you are ready
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 21:18 »
If you get across to Wyevale (Rowena), they have an offer of 3 bags of multi-purpose for £10 instead of £4.99 each.

But living closer than I do - you probably knew that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Diggit

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 21:32 »
If you get across to Wyevale (Rowena), they have an offer of 3 bags of multi-purpose for £10 instead of £4.99 each.

But living closer than I do - you probably knew that!

I did see them. I grabbed myself some new wellies from there at the weekend - £5 in the sale ;) I was waiting until I'd bought the grow bags to work out how much I needed. Now I have them I know I need about 200 litres in total so I'll be down there this weekend whilst they've still got some in.  8)

Thanks for the heads-up!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 21:38 »
That's 3 1/3 bags! Shame about the 1/3!

Diggit

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 21:42 »
That's including seed trays too and a bit extra "just in case" so I might buy a smaller bag specifically for pots and seed trays and see how it goes with the 3 biggies when I fill the bags.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02 »
I use a Seed Compost for sowing seeds in trays (big seeds, like beans, don't get the Special Treatment!) - I think it works better than multi purpose.

When I planting Potatoes in containers I put 4" of manure in the bottom, then plant the potatoes into about 4" of compost. So I reckon it will be easier to put the spuds in and then pour in more compost on top (rather than "planting" the spuds into a pot full of compost).  I then pour in more compost as they grow ("Earthing up") until the container is full.

I would suggest you keep the compost in the warm (i.e. not in a cold outdoor shed) otherwise it will be very cold when you plant - so if you put into containers now, and put in a cold greenhouse, it would be cold when you plant.

xx
grow bags -v- compost

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 18:29
by celjaci
xx
Compost for tomatoes: Multipurpose or from grow bags?

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 18:56
by Trikidiki
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
grow bags

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 11:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 32 queries.