Stupid question time

• 23 Replies

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 16:47 »
I've just built a raised bed, its raised around 10" above the rest of the soil, and the dimensions of it is around 1.7m x 3m. I did think to myself though, how am I supposed to dig the soil that's within the raised bed? The wooden framing is not that robust (recycled fence slats) and would break quite easy with moderate pressure. 

Or is that the whole idea of a raised bed to fill them up with nice compost, the soil never gets compacted and therefore won't ever need extensive digging again?

If the soil within ever needs to be dug over, I'm not quite sure how I would be able to do it?

Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 20:41 »
I've just built a raised bed, its raised around 10" above the rest of the soil, and the dimensions of it is around 1.7m x 3m. I did think to myself though, how am I supposed to dig the soil that's within the raised bed? The wooden framing is not that robust (recycled fence slats) and would break quite easy with moderate pressure. 

Or is that the whole idea of a raised bed to fill them up with nice compost, the soil never gets compacted and therefore won't ever need extensive digging again?

If the soil within ever needs to be dug over, I'm not quite sure how I would be able to do it?

most people make beds just wide enough so that they can reach the middle bit without standing on the soil - the consensus seems to be 4 feet wide (about 1.2 m)  My beds are about 3 feet wide.

If you have already made the bed, then spread your weight out by walking on solid planks that you temporarily put down to gain access.  When you are finished, you can "fluff up" where the plank has been walked on just to get the soil loose again.

With regards digging, a lot depends on the soil.  Heavy clay soils are easily compacted by walking on them, and even heavy rain will knock it back down again.  Some people go for lasagne layering and thus avoid the digging, but those with heavy clay sometimes find their plot is riddled with marestail or bindweed, both weeds that need to be dug out - so digging and turning over soil helps to pull out the roots, and working the soil helps to break it up better. 

An advantage of digging within the bed is that you dig below the level of the path and thus improve drainage, and allows you to grow root veg such as parsnips that tend to be longer than the depth of a small raised bed.  Also, when I marked my beds out then started to do a rough dig, I found the soil level increased simply due to incorporation of air - air in soil keeps it sweet and helps with the drainage.  Adding compost or manure helps to improve the soil texture as well as provide nutrients - it doesn't need to be done in one go but added over many years and eventually the soil level will gradually become higher than the footpath.  The other thing about doing it gradually rather than all in one go is that buying compost to fill a bed that size would be very expensive  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 22:56 »
I stand on the bed once a year to dig down and turn all the soil over, working backwards. I have noticed that this year the one bed I have been able to fig over is much much looser than last year when it was really compacted. My neighbours have big raised beds, height and width and are happily standing on them to dig over once a year too.

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51 »
Cheers for all the replies.  My initial idea was to just mark out sub plots for the various produce and then dig the entire area once harvested and re-plan the sub plots next year.  Might make digging a tad difficult in the pathways, but, as far as I can make out thats the only hard bit?

That's sounds like a good plan, you might have a better idea after a year of what you want need for your beds - that's the way I did it, I now have a number of beds of different sizes.

I live in Leeds too, which allotments are you on?

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 22:04 »
Cheers for all the replies.  My initial idea was to just mark out sub plots for the various produce and then dig the entire area once harvested and re-plan the sub plots next year.  Might make digging a tad difficult in the pathways, but, as far as I can make out thats the only hard bit?

That's sounds like a good plan, you might have a better idea after a year of what you want need for your beds - that's the way I did it, I now have a number of beds of different sizes.

I live in Leeds too, which allotments are you on?

I have a half plot on the Greenthopre allotments, just off Henconner lane in Bramley.  What  about yoursen?

Herb

• Experienced Member
Re: Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 18:31 »
Ah. I'm on Church Lane Allotments in kirkstall.

mrsbean

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 00:22 »
i have 3 raised beds done with old railway sleepers and 8 hinged boxes. one bed is for stawberries one for herbs one for chrysanthemums they can be there for years without rotation. works well for me. my other plot is just a plot that gets rotavated.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Re: Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 00:29 »
Ah. I'm on Church Lane Allotments in kirkstall.
Is that the one up by queenswood drive?

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 00:38 »
By the way Armleywhite...... I don't think yours was a stupid question at all. It's one I often ask myself.

My soil is good, I have a 30'x60' patch and another half that size. The plots don't suffer from flooding and I don't have raised beds. Some of my neighbours do. I guess it's a matter of preference / choice.

I like to have choice about what I grow where and each year is different. I would find raised beds restrictive.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
novice onion grower - stupid question time

Started by annied on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 20:19
by annied
xx
another reasonably stupid question!

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 22:56
by Big Jen
xx
another stupid question!!!

Started by Cara on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 21:45
by wighty
xx
Another stupid question

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 08:17
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.