Protecting carrots from the fly!

• 27 Replies

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 07:47 »
Have mentioned this method previously. We use 4 corrugated plastic sheets to form a 4 feet by 4 feet area. The height is approx. 3 feet. Use canes to support them. In general it is very successful though the odd bit of fly damage can sometimes occur if you leave any sort of gap at the corners where two sheets meet.

If you want to see a picture look under plot holders' snaps on our web site and click on Janet & Brian's carrot barrier.

Other solutions:

* grow on a very raised bed (as mentioned in other posts)
* use enviromesh netting.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:49 »
Thanks I like the picture of your barrier looks good. Think I may be able to improvise some thing similar either solid or in polythene sheet.:D I had tried the growing onions nearby strategy and cover but they still hit me hence my post.

Thanks HH
Keep digging

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 23:52 »
Quote from: "BAK"
Have mentioned this method previously. We use 4 corrugated plastic sheets to form a 4 feet by 4 feet area. The height is approx. 3 feet. Use canes to support them. In general it is very successful though the odd bit of fly damage can sometimes occur if you leave any sort of gap at the corners where two sheets meet.

If you want to see a picture look under plot holders' snaps on our web site and click on Janet & Brian's carrot barrier.

Other solutions:

Do you keep this barrier up through the whole carrot growing season?

Rob the rake

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 06:55 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Quote from: "BAK"

Other solutions:

Do you keep this barrier up through the whole carrot growing season?

See my post on the WYSIWYGGY, SN.  Depending on how exposed your plot is, a solid barrier can be prone to wind damage. I use enviromesh on wooden frames (panels), which can be packed away for the Winter.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10947
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 08:03 »
sweet nasturtium,

we put it up soon after sowing. Used to remove it around the end of Sept but we had trouble with badgers that seem to take a liking to carrots ... so now we leave it up until we harvest the remainder of the crop, usually round mid November time.

We are not in an exposed position so wind has never been a particular problem to us.

wellingtons

Funny enough ...
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 10:35 »
... I was reading about the dreaded carrot root fly at the weekend.

And I was absolutely gobsmacked to read that the carrot fly, once having being forced to fly up and over a barrier the carrot fly cannot descend for 6.5 feet ...  :shock:   But there was no evidence or logic to back that up ... and of course it struck me that if a carrot fly has to go up and over a barrier it clearly is capable of flying higher than ground level.   :roll:

And then it struck me ... it it has to fly over a barrier 6.5 feet away from my carrots (like the fence between my plot and next door's!) ... it's already up in the air and coming down like a bomber pilot and potentially right into my bleeping carrot row ...  :lol:

So I'm sticking with the covering em over with fleece method ...  :wink:

paintedlady

Re: Funny enough ...
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 11:57 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"

So I'm sticking with the covering em over with fleece method ...  :wink:

Me too :wink:   I'm absolutely determined this year to grow some decent carrots!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

belto

I can't believe
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 17:27 »
I have just secured an allotment and at the moment a bit disillusioned after reading these posts
It seems it is nigh on impossible to grow carrots without a 24" high barrier around. How do the commercial guys grow their carrots.
I will have to take my seeds back I think :cry:

noshed

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 18:48 »
Don't be daft - give them a go. Try a bit of fleece over them, the 99p shop has cheap bits.
I had good results from Resistafly last year, and Autumn King in pots.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 19:09 »
I grw mine under a fleece tunnel last year, but it was cheap fleece, and got tatty and they got in through the holes  :evil:

So.... this year, I'm going to use an enviromesh tunnel!  It kept the butterflies off the half brassicas last year, so they're getting a bigger one to cover the whole bed, and the original half size one will hopefully protect my carrots this year...

Variety seems to make a difference too - the Resistafly fared a lot better than the Auntumn King.  I don't know how resistant the coloured varieties are, cos they always get eaten first  :D It's the maincrops that get clobbered  :?

Diggerpete

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 19:36 »
Growing a cheap non resistant variety each side of a resistant variety has some success, they go for the cheap ones. Not foolproof however.

sparky

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 19:40 »
Quote from: "nobby"
i start mine under a closh next to my onions never enny troubel with root fly

So in theory, if I planted a row of Onions, then a row of Carrots, next to them, then another row of Onions next to the Carrots should keep the fly at bay? 8)

gobs

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 20:26 »
In theory. 8)

Also, whilst the onion is actively growing and you might need a bit more onion for a row of carrot, can't remember, how much.

I'd fleece them. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Protecting Brassicas

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 22:20
by Totty
xx
protecting brussels

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 12:33
by moose
xx
Protecting Crops

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 10:51
by mumofstig
xx
Protecting peas

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 14:19
by RichardA

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.