rampant potatoes

• 4 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
rampant potatoes
« on: July 08, 2009, 14:36 »
Help, I planted some Homeguard seed potatoes about third week in March in bags.  I have watered and fed them and I have masses of greenery but no flowers yetc.  Some of the stems are now starting to die off, possibly because they are all falling all over the place - I didn't think I would get this many!  Do all potatoes flower and when is that likely to be or does the fact that I have no flower mean that I have no potatoes!

Lardman

Re: rampant potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 14:41 »
Do all potatoes flower and when is that likely to be or does the fact that I have no flower mean that I have no potatoes!

No not all spuds flower. If they were planted in March Id have eaten them by now ! Have you had a rummage around in your bags to check for spuds ? You may find they're the size of house bricks by now.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 16:23 »
Just had a rummage and you are right, I do have potatoes - yippee.  Many thanks (but only one so far is the size of a house brick!).  Is it OK to keep them in the bag and just rummage as needed and, if so, do I keep watering them - a lot of the green is still green?

Do all potatoes flower and when is that likely to be or does the fact that I have no flower mean that I have no potatoes!

No not all spuds flower. If they were planted in March Id have eaten them by now ! Have you had a rummage around in your bags to check for spuds ? You may find they're the size of house bricks by now.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 17:55 »
You can just lift them as needed. If they were in soil Id be worried about slugs but not so much in bags. If you allow the plant to keep growing it will, I like my 1st earlies the size of eggs though. Once you've had a few I bet the rest of them don't last very long though  :D

I've pulled up the last of my 2nd earlies tonight - they're the size of tennis balls and will make nice Jacket spuds without taking hours to cook.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 18:01 »
Thanks for your help - have just cooked some and they are beautiful - now I know what you mean about them not lasting long!  I only found one big one, the rest are smaller which I prefer.  Still, only had to go down a little way to find enough so haven't got a clue what else is lurking beneath!  Will let you know how I get on

You can just lift them as needed. If they were in soil Id be worried about slugs but not so much in bags. If you allow the plant to keep growing it will, I like my 1st earlies the size of eggs though. Once you've had a few I bet the rest of them don't last very long though  :D

I've pulled up the last of my 2nd earlies tonight - they're the size of tennis balls and will make nice Jacket spuds without taking hours to cook.

xx
Rampant tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 16:24
by KalisDad
xx
Rampant Raspberries!

Started by FrogPrince on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 12:15
by prakash_mib
clip
Rampant Little Gems

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 22:19
by Mr Dog
xx
Rampant Radishes!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2006, 08:23
by puravida

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 33 queries.